NCI angiogenesis and copper

Cary

Thanks, Cary

How is dad?

I printed the article and want to ask my onc about the last paragraph:

Promising results from several combined modality models encourage the coupling of growth stabilising anticopper therapy with an actively cytotoxic therapy to eradicate existing tumour cells. Because of the homogeneity of endothelial cells, there is little risk of drug resistance, offering an additional advantge to anticopper therapy as antiangiogenic therapy. Alternatively, copper-lowering agents may be an effective maintenance treatment for suppression of pro-angiogenic and potentially metastatic factors. Administration of maintenance therapy may be appropriate, either following primary tumour eradication or as preventative therapy in high-risk patients. In whatever therapeutic capacity, the future for the clinical use of anticopper therapy appears promising.

Cary

I have read a little about one of the scientist who is working on the same theory.I recently went to U of Mich so my dad could get a second opinion, and that same scientist works there. I mentioned it to the onc and he said " you mean the copper guy" he didnt seem too interested in the whole idea. I personally think it all sounds very promising, but you know how some of these doctors are..I dont think they are willing to try new or different treatments..I mean if nothing else can be done why not try..

I know what you mean Cathy.

I asked Keith's oncologist about Copper reduction therapy and his only answer was that there isn't currently a trial for that going on at this hospital. He doens't even know of a trial going on to recommend for LC. In fact he poo pooed a number of questions I had, including antiangiogensis treatment, vaccines, body radiosurgery. He even had negative things to say about the Cancer treatment Centers of America, saying there is no proof that they actually work, and called them the Center of all Quackery.

I have such mixed feelings about this doctor. On the one hand, everyone keeps telling us we are so lucky to have him because he is suppose to be the best in his field. Keith really wants to receive treatment at this hospital because it is where he works, and he can plan treatment to work into his work schedule. But there are only 3 medical oncologists there, and we've met two already. He's saying he's treating Keith aggressively, but he's not very communicative, he keeps us waiting, and doesn't seem very hopeful. I know we should fire him, but then what?

Carleen,

I know, its so frustrating. I think as family members we want to try everything and anything. I always wonder why doctors dont seem to have the passion like we do, I dont have the answers cause I just dont get it. I read your recent post on Keith and I am sorry you didnt get the news you wanted, but dont despair you know many have tried different regimens until they found a successful one. I also know how you feel not quite comfortable with Keiths onc. cause I am like that about my dads, but dad really likes him so I dont say much.. Well Carleen I hope you start to feel a little better, try to get those awful thoughts out of your head, really you have to try to just not think of things that make you sad. You have to take care of yourself if your going to be strong enough to fight with and for Keith. Whenever those thoughts enter my head I really do talk myself out of thinking them. I hope that made sense..Take care Carleen