Anyone know about cancer vaccine research?

Surveyor

Has anyone been following the progress of vaccine research for lung cancer? I found the following links, but some are old and may have preliminary results available somewhere. At my stage of treatment I don’t think I’m eligible for a trial, but would sure volunteer if one became available.

Does anyone have ideas or know of additional information we can investigate?

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/show/NCT00073398

The vaccine contains killed lung cancer cells containing a mouse gene that causes the production of a foreign pattern of protein-sugars on the cell surface

Sponsored by National Cancer Institute (NCI)

http://www.cellgenesys.com/opentrials-lung-cancer.shtml

TRIAL NAME: A Phase 2 Randomized Study of GM-CSF Gene-Modified Autologous Tumor Vaccine (CG8123) ("GVAX® Lung Cancer Vaccine") with and without Low-Dose Cyclophosphamide in Advanced Stage Non Small-Cell Lung Cancer

TRIAL #: D-0031

http://www.baylorhealth.com/aboutus/pre ... 021804.htm

Researcher at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas Successfully Vaccinates Some Patients Against Lung Cancer

Vaccine May Be True Medical Advancement in the Battle Against Cancer, Study Published in Today's Journal of the National Cancer Institute

Thank you in advance.

hi ....

i just took my husband to the Baylor University Trial @ Mary Crowley Medical Research Center week before last....

http://www.marycrowleymedicalresearch.com/

stage 4 does not rule you out , neither does brain mets.... however, they actually make the vaccine for GVAX from the patients own tumor.... they will not remove anything that will require general anesthesia to get to....2 different sites during there last trial actually lost 2 patients under general... so the FDA will not allow them to use it in this trial....

they like affected lymph nodes/ tumor in the clavicular or neck region.... or if the patient has a pleural effusion of 600 cc's or greater they can use that too....

We saw Dr Nemunaitis at Mary Crowley Medical Research

Center.... he is in charge of the research mentioned at the Baylor University link you provided.....

He told us that 14% of patients who took the vaccine they went from stage III or IV to NED....

and in a much larger % of patients they were at least seeing stability of disease... some as long as 2 years or more.....

to find out if you qualify..... you should call Ned Adams, RN ( 214-370-1815) @ Mary Crowley or you can email him at nadams@mcmrc.com .... he works directly with Dr. Nemunaitis..... they are all wonderful there....good luck to you and hope you qualify.....

WITH EVERY DIFFICULTY ~ THERE IS RELIEF.............LISA :D

• 2 weeks later...

My father went to Baylor University for the G-Vax trial. There are a lot of hoops to jump through, as you can imagine, but he was finally selected for the study. In his case, they removed fluid from the lung to harvest the cancer cells for the vaccine - this method is not as successful, but it can be done in some cases. However, we later found out that the fluid had no cancer cells (it had early on in the treatment), so they were unable to make the vaccine. This sounds like a very promising possibility, so I encourage people to try it. In his study, 75 people were selected and they get over 300 applications a day - but get your doctor involved in getting you in - it could make the difference. Whatever happens, I encourage anybody to keep on track of what goes on - the sad part is that my dad had to stop chemo treatments during the time he was being tested to see if he qualified for the study - about two months until the fluid was harvested, and they didn't let him know that he was ineligible until he finally called to find out what was going on with his vaccine. Even then, he couldn't find out anything. Finally, his doctor called and insisted on talking to someone whe knew what was going on and was told he had been excluded from the study. His doctor was furious; as everyone knows, every day without treatment counts. So please explore every avenue, but be sure to look out for yourself while you do!

Hi; dunno if this helps any....I ran across something called R523S vacci;ne trial some time ago...lost track of the link info, but Ill try to paste the regional contact info in here, so one could track it down by contacting one of them, I think...dunno if this is the same or different trial or vacccine...just throwing it out here case it might help someone out. It was recruiting just a few weeks ago...dunno if still..

I apologize for the delay in this response. Corixa has contacted us with the updated contact information for the lung cancer clinical trial.

Lucinda Tennant

Project Manager, Clinical Trials

New Link Genetics

515-296-3531

ltennant@linkp.com

We wish you well and thank you for your patience.

Cancerconsultants.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wed 9/22/2004 12:03 PM

To:

Cc:

Subject: FW: L523S clinical trial.

We just noticed that the Jennifer Edwards contact needs to be updated for this trial. We have contacted Corixa Corporation and are awaiting their reply. We will contact you as soon as we hear from them. The first contact - Toni Oien is correct, if you happen to be in the Seattle area.

Thank you for your patience, and we apologize for this inconvenience. We will contact you with the updated contact information as soon as know.

Cancerconsultants.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tue 9/21/2004 10:28 AM

To:

Cc:

Subject: FW: L523S clinical trial.

Thank you for your patient inquiry. The trial is still recruiting - below is the contact information.

We wish you well and luck in participation in this promising trial.

Cancerconsultants.com

Swedish Cancer Institute

1221 Madison St., 2nd Floor , Seattle, Washington 89104

Toni Oien

206-386-2831

Cancer Centers Of Florida - Ocoee

1111 Blackwood Ave. , OCOEE, Florida 34761

Jennifer Edwards

214-370-1825

Cancer Care Northwest - Spokane North

605 E. Holland Suite 100 , SPOKANE, Washington 99218

Jennifer Edwards

214-370-1825

Tyler Cancer Center - Tyler

910 E. Houston St. Suite 100 , TYLER, Texas 75702

Jennifer Edwards

214-370-1825

Sammons Cancer Center - Mary Crowley Medical Research Center

3535 Worth Street, 3rd Floor - Collins 3rd Floor - Collins , DALLAS, Texas 75246

Jennifer Edwards

214-370-1825

A google search for R523S clinical trial might turn up the trial info too..

k...good luck Rich B.