Trials....What do they mean?

cindi o'h

I have been reading about trials since I was first diagnosed with lung cancer. Initially, I was given the option of being in a trial. During the treatment planning of my lung cancer "cure", the oncologist that I was working with decided that I would better fit in with the "tried and true" methods of treatment. I don't know what his method of thinking was...in any event, at this time, it is a moot point.

However, my sometimes inquistive mind, continues to plague me with the unanswered question that keeps popping in every not so once in awhile: What is a "phase one trial?" What is a "phase two trial?" etc...

Cindi o'h

Clinical Trials - Offer patients new or experimental treatment programs and special agents for the treatment of cancer and blood diseases. Participation is 100% voluntary. Clinical trials involve these phases:

Phase 1 - Intended to determine the safe dose for anti-cancer medications and the potential side effects of different doses. I think Phase 1 trials also look to see if there are likely to be results in larger human populations.

Phase 2 - Intended to establish if a new treatment is effective for a particular kind of cancer.

Phase 3 - Intended to compare a "new" treatment with "standard" treatment. This type of trial involves "randomization," or the assignment of patients to one or the other treatment on a random basis. Each treatment has known benefits, but this kind of study will tell if one may be superior to the other.

It is unfortunate (In my opinion) that doctors do not discuss clinical trials more thoroughly.

I think they should be able to spend more time or get an advocate in and find all the trial options and then discuss the particular pros/cons versus approved treatment

JMO

• 2 weeks later...

I am late to respond, but here goes, clinical trials in my opinion, are where the cure for lung cancer will have to come from. The conventional treatments are not always curative, if at all. I am invovled in a Phase 1 trial currently and have been very happy, disease has not progressed and trial is hopeful. I feel that was my best curative option for now.

I am late to respond, but here goes, clinical trials in my opinion, are where the cure for lung cancer will have to come from. The conventional treatments are not always curative, if at all. I am invovled in a Phase 1 trial currently and have been very happy, disease has not progressed and trial is hopeful. I feel that was my best curative option for now.