Good news from caregiver of someone with SCLC

mainecoon

Ten days ago, on the 10th, my wife was scheduled to go to the U of M Cancer Center for her third chemo session. The night before she'd been so anxious that she took a second 5mg Valium sometime during the night to help her sleep. By the time she was supposed to go to the hospital she was so incredibly fatigued she could barely lift one foot in front of the other. For a moment as we sat on the edge of the bed we even considered not going through with any more chemotherapy. But she roused herself through sheer dint of willpower. A kind friend of ours who had come all the way up from Toledo drove her to the hospital.

When I finally spoke with our friend she told me that my wife's hemoglobin count was down to 8. The medical people decided to do a transfusion rather than chemo. I was told that she fell asleep during the examination. She came home and went directly to bed. The next day she told me she could barely remember anything of that day.

After almost five days she regained a good deal of her former strength. Both her physical and mental state changed dramatically for the better. On Wednesday we went to the hospital for a CAT scan, and yesterday we returned for a consultation with the oncologist. I cautioned my wife not to expect any dramatic improvements after only two sessions.

When the physician's assistant came in she told her that she could continue with the chemo, if she was so inclined. I immediately sensed my wife become tense. She said, 'So you're saying the films didn't show any improvement?' The assistant's eyes immediately widened, and she replied, 'Oh,no. There's been significant shrinkage of the tumor. It's just that some people choose to take a break from the chemo if they can, because of the side effects.'

The oncologist appeared and verified that they were "on the right track" with the chosen chemo. He also said that my wife could start another session on Monday, and that he would instruct the nurse to administer Anaprest to maintain a healthy hemoglobin count.

Afterwards my wife and I let out a mutual sigh of relief. When the assistant said 'if you're so inclined' we both heard "Well, your situation's hopeless and there's no real point in chemo anymore since it's not working; but if you want it we'll give it to you."

Sometimes, all too often really, medical people are unaware of how devastating a few simple words or a turn of phrase can be.

Anyway, I want to give thanks to all who have contributed their experiences to this board. It's been a rich source of inspiration which I've been able to pass onto my wife to encourage her when she's feeling beyond hope and especially depressed.

I'm happy to hear your good news. I'm also glad you posted that story. I'll bet almost everyone here can see themselves in that one! I can't tell you how many times I have taken something the doctor or nurse has said in a totally different way than they meant it. They make a simple statement and I am off with imagined "meanings". Its given me sleepless nights and hours of stress. I guess its because the outcome of all of this means so much to us.

So, HURRAY for positive results and shrinking tumors!!!!!

I am so glad to hear an update from you. I have been thinking a lot about you and your wife lately. I felt confident that the chemo would help her so much and I can really relate to your story. I'm so proud of her for getting up and going that morning. I know the fatigue she was feeling. I have fallen asleep sitting on the exam table or as soon as I get in the chair for chemo. Now that they know how she's reacting and what to try to supplement she should do much better. I'm impressed that they did a scan after 2 treatments, isn't it great to know that it's working. That's the same chemo I had and it seems to have worked wonders for me. I hope this will help her feel a little more positive and know that there are better days ahead. The doctors and nurses can't realize how we look for meaning in every little thing they say and then let our imaginations take over. Great news! This is just what you both needed.

Jenny

I am so glad to hear an update from you. I have been thinking a lot about you and your wife lately. I felt confident that the chemo would help her so much and I can really relate to your story. I'm so proud of her for getting up and going that morning. I know the fatigue she was feeling. I have fallen asleep sitting on the exam table or as soon as I get in the chair for chemo. Now that they know how she's reacting and what to try to supplement she should do much better. I'm impressed that they did a scan after 2 treatments, isn't it great to know that it's working. That's the same chemo I had and it seems to have worked wonders for me. I hope this will help her feel a little more positive and know that there are better days ahead. The doctors and nurses can't realize how we look for meaning in every little thing they say and then let our imaginations take over. Great news! This is just what you both needed.

Jenny

I am so happy to hear your wife's good news! That is wonderful. I have also been thinking about you and your wife, I remember the first time you posted you were really upset and down in the dumps, you have come a long way! All we really want is just a little bit of good news and encouragement, it really doesn't take too much to please us. I also agree about the medical personnel, they DO NOT know how we hang on every word they utter, even a look can send me into a tizzy! I think they have to learn to be a little more cautious around us. Praying that your wife keeps up the good progress and I am sure she will.

Best

Bess B