WBR Mask?????

Laura Ann

I'm a little concerned. I keep reading post about patients receiving WBR and having a mask made. My mother had 13 rounds of WBR but there was not a mask made for her. Was this wrong?

Laura

/////////////////

I don't know why your mother wouldn't need a mask. Everybody receiving WBR when my wife did had a mask. My wife had WBR and lower spine radiation. The mask was used for marking her WBR measurements. The measurements for her lower spine radiation were marked on her stomach / upper abdominal area.

Laura,

I am sure you will get more responses later tonighta nd during teh week. Sundays can be slow.

Just my two cents worth--don't panic. I bet your mom did get a mask of some sort for marking and you don't even realize it. Sort of like for radiation, my mom got "tatooed" as her marking.

I just completed wbr and I also had a mask made. It was used for marking so they did not have to mark my face and head. Did they mark (or tatoo) your mom's face and head directly? Or maybe Andrea is right, maybe they did have a mask, they kept mine there with the machine.

Hope this helps!

TAnn

My mother has had previous radiation to her leg and chest(all by the same doc). Each time she was "tatooed" in the area to be treated. When she received wbr, there were no markings on her head at all. I hate to question her too much about this since it is already done, but want to be sure that her safety was not compromised. I know the radiation oncologist and he is very well respected here in Louisville and on a personal level is very kind and compassionate. Should I be worried?

Laura

My Dad also had "the mask". For whatever reason, he brought it home after they completed the radiation. After we lost him, my Mom, my sister and I shed many tears when we disposed of the mask. I have noticed Laura Ann that you are from Louisville. I live in Shelbyville and work in Louisville. Being this close if there is anything I can do to help you, your Mom or family please let me know. I have been on the road you are traveling with my Dad.

Jean

• 3 weeks later...