Could this be a recurrence?

Shirl

Hi everyone!

Firstly I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. We don't celebrate it here as you know, but I have spent some lovely ones with some of my family who live in New Jersey. Secondly, I wondered if someone could advise me on the following.

I had my lobectomy on the 15th August and have gradually been getting stronger, however over the last week or so have been having pain in the middle of my chest which radiates outward to both the left and right-hand sides. It's quite intense, and then just goes, but it is still quite tender when I touch it. Could this be a sign of a recurrence or is it just stress related or muscular etc?

Many thanks for your help.

I can only tell you that I had very similar pain. It was in the center of my chest went out to the left side (once I though I was having a heart attack), you could almost put your finger on it! Hurt like you know what. Mentioned it the surgeon, he said sometimes you can develop arthritis (some kind, don't remember the name) after the lobectomy. Last chemo treatment was Oct 4th........very rarely do I have the pain now. Every once in awhile it will grab me and remind me it's there.....but then it passes.

I have been having LOTS of muscle issues in my chest, side, neck and back. Doc says part of it is stress, part is normal considering everything and part is dragging these boobs around. Start pulmonary rehab next month, should help build up the upper body and get everything back to the "new" normal.

Talk to your doc about it though, always feels better when you have been looked at and the doctor tells you what is going on.

Good luck! :D

Thanks for replying Beth. I will take your advice and see my doctor, that's if I'm ever lucky enough to get an appointment with him, I'm still waiting for the oncologist to get back to me about my adjuvant therapy. To be honest I think it's a bit late now anyway as it's nearly 5 months since I had the op.

Keep well.

hi,

i don't know whether a m.d. could tell you for sure but know i surely couldn't.

my first thought would be to wonder whether you had symptoms prior to surgery. if not, i shouldn't think you would get such so soon afterward.

what is the simplest explanation? and of whom should you inquire? i suspect these are the place to begin. if you get distressing answers there will be plenty of time to consider them. without competent answers, there wouldn't seem to be much point in frittering away present happiness without good reason, would there?

yours,

ken

You need to talk to your doctor about the pain, but I had some pain issues that popped up long after the initial pain of surgery was over. No one ever did find an actual cause, but attributed it to muscle strain or surgery pain.....

Cindy

You should definitely get to the doctor about it, for reassurance if nothing else. My husband had a great deal of pain in the lower right rib (front) area after surgery; he still has a twinge from time to time but it is reducing progressively, thank heavens. We were told that it was nerve pain from the surgery; a nerve had to be severed on the back and the pain just radiated along the rest of the nerve to the front. I suppose your pain could be something similar but it should certainly be looked into.

Ellen

Hi Shirl,

I would strongly urge you to talk to your Dr. I had my lobectomy 1 Nov and on 16 Nov I had this pressure in my chest between the ole boobs, that felt like someone just put a boot in my chest. It radiated down under my left brest, out over the top of the left side of my chest. It turned out to be a near heat attack with 80% blockage in one of my artiers and I had to have an emergency proceedure to open the artery and put in a stent. I'm not saying that's your problem, but please take chest pains very serious.... I wasn't going to the hospital, I felt really silly going to the ER for "heartburn", but my son insisted, guess I really scared him!! I'm glad he insisted!!

I found out today that I can start my adjuvant therapy in January... My onco said we could wait five months if we wanted and still have the same effect... so hang in there! It can be done.

Hugs and Prayers....

Hi Shirl,

I am with Paula on this one, dear.

Chest and radiating arm pain for any reason or no reason needs an immediate medical work-up. It is an emergent situation that requires a professional evaluation...PRONTO>>>

It may be nothing, or it may be life-threatening. You can be like me and drive yourself to the hospital emergency unit or you can be like Paula and call the paramedics. Either way, (Paula's is the recommended choice) get your butt in gear. Mine was a heart attack too. Don't fool around.

Love Cindi o'h

Shirl, in mid October, I had a pain like a "stitch in my side" as we call it down south! I was gasping for breath because it hurt to breathe, but otherwise I felt fine. My sister convinced me to call the doc, or actually she made the call because I was gasping and couldn't talk very well. I wound up in the ER to have it checked out, and felt really silly because it was nothing -- a pulled muscle we thought at the time, or more likely a cracked rib that is trying to heal and I moved the wrong way and set it off again.

The point being that since I found out I have cancer, my life has to change. Where once I might put off getting something seen about, I know now that I no longer have that luxury. I have to find out why I have pain, if I have it, and if my body starts doing strange things, I have to pay attention.

When I first read your post, I got the impression that you were a tad frightened, and that you want to know what's causing the pain, but are also a little hesitant to know because you're afraid of bad news. Close? If so, that's totally understandable, but we all know now that catching things early makes such a big difference.

Take care. Hope you find out what this is soon, and that it's something minor.

Di