Forum or Chat Room for Our TEENS/KIDS

tnmynatt

What do you'll think about setting up a forum and chat room for our teens and kids? Chatting is a very nature thing for them. I would like to try to figure out how to set one up that would be password protected so our kids would be protected from "Internet predators." Any thoughts, suggestions or potential users? I have three children that would be interested that are 11, 15 and 17. There seems to be a real gap with our kids getting the support they need onliine. Take care.

This was already suggested last year about this time and I just wanted to answer why our Board of Directors decided not to do this then.

It is very difficult to monitor chat sessions or have/create forums for children under 18. LCSC can not adequately do this.

LCSC focus' solely on support for cancer patients and their adult caregivers/family members over the age of 18. In fact, because of the nature of the posts, graphic posts about illness and death and grieving, you are supposed to be over the age of 18 when you register here.

Children who are dealing with a family member battling a serious illness are extremely vulnerable to preditors and there is no way we can ensure the safety of minors, nor are we able to take that responsibility at this time.

Children who wish to post here or to use our chat function may do so only under the supervision of their parents.

I can not imagine what it is like to be a small child with a parent who is sick and I hope one day LCSC grows large enough to create a website just for minors to accomodate this need.

It is just not possible at this time.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that it be done by LCSC. If you could let me know via PM what the specifics are legally, I would really appreciate it. I would like to hear from others that would be interested in a site like this. I want to find a way to do it in spite of the issues. Thanks and take care.

I believe this is a very important issue for our families. I hope others will respond indicating this same need. If I get enough support, I will pursue forming a team to work this issue outside of LCSC. The Wellness Community has a protected environment for kids that have cancer. I may be able to get them interested if I have enough interest from you'll. Please don't be bashful or scared off by the LCSC Admin. I understand their concerns. I just believe there are other avenues that we can pursue. Please respond, PM or email me. THanks.

Tina,

I think its a great idea. Are you sure this doesn't already exist somewhere? I just keep thinking that there has to be a site like this already...I can't believe someone hasn't set it up.

The Wellness Community is an excellent idea. It's wonderful of you to do this.

Rochelle

The actual chat section of the site requires no sign in or registration or age limitation.

Anyone is free to use the chat and all are ok to use the site.

Only if you are under 13 - youre prompted when registering to get a parents ok.

We dont discriminate on young adults from using the site but we dont specifically cater to them.

I would imagine there is a definite need for a site to specifically cater to you adults(teens) dealing with this horrible disease as a child or caregiver or etc. Currently LCSC cannot take on this project due to lack of resources and overall time to manage another secondary site.

Thank everyone for all the suggestions and ideas and we try to make this place better based on the these. Areas such Ask the Experts and many more have came about from specific suggestions from members here.

Please dont let one idea not acted upon discourage future ideas and suggestions. We actively evaluate each and everyone to see the possibilities.

Thanks

Rick

• 2 weeks later...