SCLC in vertebrae and femur

M

Hello...My mpther in law was recently diagnosed with SCLC and today we found it has spread to her back and leg. We also know they have found no evidence of cancer in her brain. My husband and I live in Oregon and she is in Ohio. Can anyone give us and idea of any questions we should be asking the doctors? His brothers and sister are back there with her. What is the prognosis based on anyone elses experience? Should we be flying home today or waiting to hear back on other tests? She is currently in the hospital in an effort to relieve some back pain she is having. We also know they are starting Chemo and are putting a permenant stint in. Thanks for any help. M

M-

Welcome to the group, sorry you had to find us though. I have Non-small Cell and don't know much about small cell so I can not tell you much about it. Aside from the normal questions you would ask in a case like this, I would make sure that her doctors have a can do attitude. Positive thinking is so important. It must be hard being away from her at a time like this. Get the dx and maybe go be with her for her first treatment?

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi M.

I'm sorry to hear about your MIL's diagnosis. Like Justakid, I don't know much about SCLC (someone will though!), but I wanted to welcome you.

Also, I live in Washington and my mama is in Illinois, so I understand how hard it is to be so far away when your family is dealing with such things. ((((hugs)))) to you.

Hi M and WELCOME!

I don't have much knowledge about SCLC, but I do know that it is very responsive to chemo, so I would expect that you will be hearing very soon that your MIL is NED (No Evidence of Disease).

I guess you should get some feedback from the doctors and families that are closer to the situation before deciding whether to make the trip. It doesn't sound like she is in any imminent danger, however, it might make you and your husband feel a lot better if you could just go give her a hug.

Please keep us posted.

God bless you,

Peggy

Hi M!

First let me welcome you to the board, though I'm sorry you have a reason to be here. I do have SCLC, since it has spread, your MIL will be staged as extensive like me, which means no surgery and only pallative radiation on specific mets. While very agressive, SCLC responds really well to front line (first time) chemo. As long as they act quickly she should be OK soon. And it sounds like they are acting quickly. The big problem is keeping it away once it is gone. It keeps coming back. I wish your MIL good luck in fighting this beast. Let her and your siblings know about this site, we would love to have them as well.

Blessings

Betty

Hi M, welcome to our support family.There are lots of people here who know alot and care alot.I'm a nsclc patient and all I really can do is restate as the others that sclc usually responds well to chemo.

Until you get a better feel for what is going on w/ treatments etc. you may want to hold off going there a little bit but that is entirely your call.They may need your help a little more after she starts the chemo as most folks usually have side affects like fatigue that can make it difficult to do chores and get things done around the house.

Wishing you all good luck & keep us posted & invite them to stop in.

Thanks to all of you who replied and those who may have read my post and sent good thoughts our way. I am very grateful for your concern and insight. I am also encouraged by your stories and your determination. I have heard it said that we are only dealt a hand we can play. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I will keep you update as the situation reveals itself and look forward to keeping up with all of you as you fight the goog fight. Hugs and such. M