why some people with lung cancer still smoking?

bucky

I found last week that somebody that I know have LC, pretty bad for what my daughter told me, but he still smoke. Why? I would like to understnd it but I can't. The cigarrette almost kill me & gave me this life sentence.

thanks to listen to me, all of you are great people. I wish I would have more time to keep more in touch.

bucky 50

Takinng care of my grand son YEEAAA!!!

Stage I B, adreno.

2 years survival next month

Last PET Shows COLOR, Scared, but Drs. said could be scar tissue, I HOPE

Bucky,

Welcome! I'm sorry your friend has lung cancer, but I would think if you want to know why he is still smoking you might want to ask him! It's a personal issue with people, and I for one try not to judge anyone if they continue to smoke. If he is in the LATE stages of lung cancer and there is NO HOPE, then I guess in my humble opinion, why should he quit? And yes, I know what it's like for those that love him. I've been in those shoes too. My father and sister continued to smoke but there cancer had spread throughout there bodies. My feelings for them did not change because they choose to continue to smoke. It gave them a little enjoyment, and I sure wasn't going to mess that up for them. Quiting wasn't going to save them from going to heaven.

And yes, we ALL know what smoking does. BOY DO WE!

Best wishes, and prayers for your friend.

That same question is asked about many substances that are addictive.

Many people are addicted to many things and often lose thier families, homes, freedom and often thier life due to the addiction. The answer is most likely the basic definition of addiction.

Addiction

The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something
Compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance

My Dad continued to smoke right up until he passed away. His view was.."the damage has been done." Did we like the choice he made? No not really, but, it was HIS CHOICE and I could understand his reasoning. Its funny, one of the first dreams I had about him about two weeks after he passed, he said to me "you know what? I think I shouldn't have smoked... I was really sick after all!!"

One of my dearest friend had nsclc stage one,had lobectomy and no chemo or radiation. She got a second chance. She been clean for 4 yrs and continues to smoke. I don't get it either. It's a choice and obviously

she wasn't scared enough.

I don't think that it was she wasn't scared enough but that she is addicted. My mom continues to smoke 1-3 smokes a day and believe me she is scared! but she is also stressed, sad and ADDICTED! For the people who have smoked or do smoke addictions are not easy to kick. The same as being an alcholic your told your liver is failing sure anyone would be scared but they are addicted and will pick up that next drink. For people who have never had an addiction it is easy for them to blame and point fingers but the people that I know that has/have an addiction the finger lies with the addiction not the ADDICT!

Calintay

Bucky,

I would just like to use this post to reccommend a site where I am very active. whyquit.com and the Freedom from tobacco support board is full of educational materials and support. My husband, Mike , quit smoking when he was first diagnosed , 4 years ago and I quit nearly two years ago when I was diagnosed with emphysema. Thanks to the support of this site, I quit cold turkey and I can't say enough wonderful things about it. If anyone is looking for somewhere to turn to, I would highly reccommend it.

sue