Dad has Stage 4 lung cancer that has met to brain

Boysmom

I am new here. Two years ago my dad (then age 56) was diagnosed with stage 2 lung cancer. He underwent surgery to remove 1/3 of his lung and they also removed 3 lymph nodes. They did radiation following the surgery saying that they had removed all the cancer. The radiation was actually an option that the dr gave. Looking back I think we were all somewhat naive. On Feb 11 he had an MRI that showed that the cancer had met to the brain. The plan was made that day to do 10 rounds of WBR to start on the 14th. Yet, the dr told him to "get his affairs in order". My stepmom called my husband at work to tell him and to have him go home to tell me. I live about 350 miles away and felt totally helpless. My husband was able to arrange things so I could make it down to his house and be able to go to the next dr appointment on the 14th. I am a stay at home mom of 3 young kids (5, 2 and 6 months). When we (my stepmom, dad and I) went to the dr on the 14th he gave the option of 15 WBR treatments instead of the 10 so that there are more options for further treatments. They say there are several lesions and there is bleeding. His symptoms had been headaches and the dr gave him a pain pill right away to help alliviate any discomfort from the swelling. When we spoke with the dr on the 14th he kept saying that my dad is doing very well considering how the MRI looks. After going to the dr that day I went home and regrouped the kids and came back to his house. I plan to stay until the radiation is complete and try to keep learning all I can. He is still working and seems to be doing good other than being tired. He has completed six WBR so far and says he feels better than he has in the last month. Today he goes for a PET scan and if it is all clear the dr plans to start him on Temodar following the radiation. They seem to give such a dismal outlook and I have read a few good outcomes here. Does anyone have any thing that has worked for them or any place that they have gone for treatment? My dad is willing to look at his options, but isn't wanting to research. He says he will leave that up to me and my stepmom. I just want him to be with us for as long as possible as long as he has a fair quality of life to go along with it. He is so important to me and I can't bear to think of my boys not knowing him.

Thanks for listening - Leah

I'm so sorry you're having go through this. It's so hard to see our parents suffer. I'll be praying for you and your dad.

My mom receives treatment at the cancer treatment centers of america in Tulsa. I can't tell you enough how awesome they are and how POSITIVE they are. There's always hope and these people treat you like you are their only patient. You can ck out their web site at www.cancercenter.com

((hugs)) and prayers for you all

OK, WBR does and will work. It killed all 6 of my moms tumors. all were gone, done, noda, outta there.

get my picture. Don't let any negative dr. in your dads care. find another one who will keep fighting. Brain mets are not brain cancer. after WBR then chemo can breach the BBB. (Blood, Brain barrier) then chemo can get in there as well and help with mets murder.

please look at other dr.s and NEVER give up the fight.!

I don't know of any center in that area. I live in Florida. I just wanted to tell you not to give up. If the Dr. is negative, and is still giving treatment, try talking to him about his attitude. If he doesn't want to treat, then find a new Doc.

I'm glad that you are with your dad while he is going through this. I'm sure it helps him and you.

My prayers are with all of you.

Barb

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear what you are going through. We are going through the same thing. My dads radiation on the brain was unsuccessful and I was wondreing what WBR is, where u are having it done and who the doc is? perhaps this is an option for my dad.

Dear Leah,

I'm so sorry you need to be here. It is however the BEST place to be. You just aren't going to find a better support system. Just know that every moment of every day, there is a whole gaggle of people here praying for you & your family & hoping to be of any kind of kelp we can for you.

Hugs & prayers,

Melanie