This is an OUTRAGE !!!

Tim'sKathy

I just heard on the news this morning that president Bush and the government has approved $15 billion dollars to fight Aids...in Africa ! I would not have a problem with this if it was being spend in the US...but here I sit watching my husband struggle each day to fight Lung cancer and they are sending $15 billion dollars to another country...

Sorry...but something is just not right with this....

Kathy

How about if we all email the Pres with our displeasure!!!! I'm sure he has an email address..It's getting near election time someone may listen. Carol

Guest helene

I feel the same way, there is no justice. Somehow we have to believe in a higher being. God knows we don't undestand his message but somehing is going on. I am a lung cancer survior twice and I believe he will get justice. keep praying,,,,,it works.

helene :o

Hi all, I just emailed the Pres. let's see what he has to say. I made the original post suggesting to email him, I did it from work so I guess It comes up as "guest" sorry about that. I am also trying to figure out how to get my scanner to work to get our picture up. By the time I figure it out Gene's hair will be grown back and mine will be completely gray! Praying for us all. Carol

Well, i sent my e-mail also. I find it so incredible that we give all this money to Aids, and what about us?????? Every disease is horrible and deserves money for research, but in one of my earlier posts, i said how i feel the government allows this to continue because it is profitable for them tax wise and population wise. The system would be limping along without cigarette taxes, and the social security system cannot support people who live to be 90-100 years old. Simple as that. Call me cynical but i really feel it is true. Keep 'em smokin' , dyin' and payin' taxes, keeps everyin' flowing - YA KNOW. Anybody agree, disagree, or what?

Joanie

Joanie, I couldn't have said it better myself... Isn't it a shame!

Remember, for every letter of complaint a politician gets from the consumer, they figure 60 more people feel the same way. If everyone from the board wrote in and kept writing in, the numbers would be impressive.

-Jack-

This is not the 1st outrageous thing he has done ... He also accepted the tobacco company settlement money for the STATE of Texas and signed an agreement not to allow any individual lawsuits to be filed by the residents of Texas. Once money was received, less than 10% of the money was/is being used for the purpose the money was obtained...

This is definitely a violation of the the residents of Texs, civil liberties...

I've been torn about the HIV/AIDS funding to Africa, so I thought I'd respond with my thoughts.

I DO agree that there needs to be more funding for LC research in the US. The fact that HIV/AIDS and all sorts of other cancers are getting so much funding (though not nearly as much as the military :roll: , but that's another issue entirely) but not LC seems to support the stereotype that LC is something that people "deserve" (because they have chosen to smoke, as most people assume that all LC patients are smokers). In fact, I saw Jessica Simpson (teenybopper pop star) on the Today Show a few weeks ago...she is part of the Legacy campaign to get people to quit smoking, and she was talking about how she got involved b/c LC was such a "selfish" cancer! GRRRRRR!

However, the perception that a huge amount of adults (and children) in Africa have HIV/AIDS because they couldn't get it under control is not entirely true. These are nations that are living in poverty...poverty more extreme than we could even fathom living in the US. They do not have access to quality prenatal care, safer sex materials, or safer sex education. In addition, those who have HIV/AIDS, because of poverty, cannot afford the sorts of drugs (protease inhibitors or "cocktails") that US patients with insurance have the benefit of. Many nations, such as South Africa, are beginning to ride the wave of sex education and condom distribution, and the results are phenomenal! However, I'm sure that President Bush's funding for HIV/AIDS in Africa is contingent upon "abstinence-based" programs, not risk reduction models (meeting people where they're at, rather than placing your morals/standards upon them). So I agree with the funding, but disagree with the conditions placed upon it.

I have emailed President Bush also, as I agree that LC research deserves FAR more funding than it receives. However, as an HIV/AIDS counselor/tester of youth in inner-city Chicago, don't ask for the funding to be pulled from those who have NO other resources.

I'm sorry if this posting seems irrelevant...I just had to share my thoughts about this issue.

Hope all are well.

Katie

Guest helene

I, too, added my voice to spending our tax dollars on cancer research. I feel sorry for people suffering from aids in Africa and elsewhere but charity does begin at home. :!: