IRESSA News

Bill

This is very interesting. I was on a trial with ZD-6474. Unfortunately it was a double blind trial meaning that neither I or my docs knew if I was getting the drug or a placebo. We will never know for sure, but due to the fact that I had progression, I probably got the placebo.

I'll be looking for the results of this trial in May. Thanks Bill!

TAnn

You know, one of the things I am very curious about is whether or not Docs prescribing Iressa for their patients are telling them about the dietary restrictions. Grapefruit Juice, Grapefruit, and other foods and some medications that are CYP3A4 Inhibitors/Inducers are contraindicated for Iressa users, and yet I've met several who were never told that Grapefruit should be avoided.

You know, one of the things I am very curious about is whether or not Docs prescribing Iressa for their patients are telling them about the dietary restrictions. Grapefruit Juice, Grapefruit, and other foods and some medications that are CYP3A4 Inhibitors/Inducers are contraindicated for Iressa users, and yet I've met several who were never told that Grapefruit should be avoided.

I just went thru this process with a group of physicans and other healthcare providers from various disciplines. I was astonished at how little any of these people knew about Iressa or Tarceva. Also, come to find out that at my wife's med onc group of six ( 6 ) med oncs there are no patients on Iressa and a grand total of two ( 2 ) patients on Tarceva. My wife and a middle aged man ( who has shown a good therapeutic response ). As I previously reported, at the hospital that my wife was admitted to Tarceva isn't even a formulary drug. Still considered investigational. It's easy to see why everybody was so skeptical about my insistance that Tarceva ( or Iressa ) be tried on my wife. Nobody knows enough about these drugs to even begin understanding their possible role in a case such as my wife's. It literally wore me down having to provide a dozen different medical people with a basic overview of Tarceva ( and Iressa ).

Thanks Bill for the link. Boy sure sounds like it hasn't been a fun ride "explaining" to the doc's about the drugs...I imagine frustrating.

Fay, Never heard about the grapefruit and I am on Iressa - I don't like grapefruit so it hasn't affected me.

Wendy