Backpain

daggiesmom

Can anyone tell me how they determine spine mets? The reason I'm asking is I've been having a bad pain in my right lower back for awhile now; i'm hoping it's just muscular, but if it continues I guess i have to go to the doctor. How do they determine if it's cancer? CAT scan, x-ray or what - anybody have a similar problem? Thanks,

Joanie

Joanie,

We are so new to all this that I have no input.........just need you to know that we care and that we have added this concern to our prayer list.

We always look forward to your posts.....When we get on line Brian asks if there are any posts from "that spunky woman"

Tho it may seem poorly worded..........that is a huge compliment!

Pat

Joannie,

I had some lower back pain a little over a year ago, and after a few weeks, decided I should get it looked at (due to the fact that my imagination was running wild and it got to the point where it ached constantly, leaving me laying in bed one Sunday morning crying, convinced the cancer was back) My onc. ordered an MRI of my spine. Turned out to be muscular, most likely caused by packing/unpacking boxes from our move in January :roll: Oddly enough, the day after I got the results, the pain was GONE. . .

Here's hoping that your pain turns out to be just as simple!

Can anyone tell me how they determine spine mets? The reason I'm asking is I've been having a bad pain in my right lower back for awhile now; i'm hoping it's just muscular, but if it continues I guess i have to go to the doctor. How do they determine if it's cancer? CAT scan, x-ray or what - anybody have a similar problem? Thanks,

Joanie

IMO an MRI of your spine is the way to go. A rad onc or neurosurgeon can readily spot any tumor activity that is present in the spine and then give you an opinion as to whether or not it's related to your pain complaint. As a general rule, spinal tumors don't cause much, if any, pain until they become large enough to compress nerve(s) in the area. Also, as in my wife's case, low back pain can originate from the pelvic region as well as the lower spine.