Newly Diagnosed Pt.

mday

My Mother was just diagnosed yesterday with Adenocarcinoma of the left lung. Two weeks ago she was coughing up blood in the mornings. I have already contacted MD Anderson and we are waiting for an appt. with them. My Mom is in Wyoming and will be here in Texas Saturday. I wish I knew about the stage, how close the 2 masses are, size, etc. The waiting is making me nuts. She is 68 non-smoker (married 40 yrs. to a smoker) and has only lost 6lbs. since last Dr.'s appt in Apr., good appetite, and has not had any shortness of breath. Her condition now is what gives her and I alot of hope. We will beat this thing!

Hi Mday

Welcome, I am fairly new here also and I have found this group of people to be knowledgeable and supporting. My husband is currently in the hospital after lung cancer surgery. I just want to say stay strong and encouraged for your mom and come here often to vent, cry, be happy, whatever you need to express, it can be done here. This disease is tough to deal with, without support, so we are here for each other. You will be added to my prayers and many others prayers I assure you... Take Care,

Mday- So sorry to hear about your mother. You have found an excellent resource here at the LC message boards. Everyone is full of love and support and it truly helps to make a difference. My Dad has Stage IV Lung Cancer and he was diagnosed back in early May. I can tell you that to me, that was the hardest part by far. The not knowing, going from Dr.'s office to Dr.'s office, the sleepless nights of worrying, dreading what we would find out, all made for a miserable period of time, but it does get better. He still has LC, but he's had radiation and just started his chemo. We have bad days and good days, but nothing bad like the beginning. So, just try to get through it the best you can and I promise things will get better. Just keep the faith and lean on us when you need to. What helped me the most was - and still is - to learn as much as I can about my Dad's disease. Knowledge is power!

Take care,

Kelly

WELCOME TO THE BOARD MDAY.

MY HUSBAND HAS STAGE IV NSCLC. BACK IN 07/31/02 HE TO WAS SPITTING UP BLOOD. WHEN HE HAD A CAT SCAN IT SHOWED ONE TUMOR IN THE LEFT UPPER LOBE. HIS WAS OPERABLE AND WHEN THEY WENT IN, HERE THAT SAME UPPER LOBE HAD TWO TUMORS IN IT. THEY CHECKED 7 NODES AND FOUND MICROSCOPIC CANCER IN 5 LYMPH NODES. THEY HAD TO REMOVE THE WHOLE LUNG BECAUSE OF THE LOCATION OF ONE OF THE TUMORS. HE WAS STAGE II. A FEW MONTHS DOWN THE LINE HE WAS HAVING TROUBLE WITH HIS LEG GIVING OUT. SCAN OF THE BRAIN SHOWED IT METASTATISED WITH 3 TUMORS. TWO MONTHS LATER, PAIN IN THE SIDE THAT HAD BEEN THERE SINCE THE OPERATION WAS SCANNED AND BONE CANCER SHOWED IN THE RIBS.. I THINK IT WAS THERE BEFORE THE OPERATION. I AM ONLY TELLING YOU THIS FOR THINGS TO WATCH FOR POSSIBLY LATER.

AT THE PRESET TIME HE IS FEELING SOMEWHAT BETTER. HE LOST 60 LBS. UP TO THE TIME OF THE OPERATION, HE HAD NOT LOST ANY WEIGHT. IT WAS THE OPERATION, CHEMO AND RADIATION THAT TOOK THE WEIGHT OFF.

HE WALKS ABOUT 1/2 MILE EACH DAY OR MORE IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD.HE STARTED THIS ABOUT A MONTH OR TWO AGO...HE DOESN'T HAVE MUCH STRENGTH BUT HE IS WORKING ON THAT WITH THE WALKING. HE HAD SOME SCANS DONE THIS MORNING TO SEE HOW THE BRAIN AND BONE CANCERS ARE DOING AFTER ALL THE RADIATIONS. WE WILL KNOW MORE THIS WEEK.

HOPE THE BEST FOR YOUR MOM. HOPE SHE CAN BE OPERATED ON TO GET IT OUT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. IT WILL SEEM LIKE FOREVER BEFORE THEY ACTUALLY TAKE ACTION SO HANG IN THERE. IF IT SEEMS TO LONG GO TO SOMEONE ELSE. WE HAD TO DO THAT. GOD BLESS