? about lobectomy

KarHart

I was just wondering, when they remove an entire lobe do thay take samples of nearby lymph nodes during the surgery? Unless something showed up on the scan yesterday there has been no lymph involvement, but it would seems like they should check while they are in there. Unfortunately, didn't think to ask the dr. last week.

Hi Barb,

Did you have your surgery at Moffitt? Dr. Sommers will be doing Ken's. At first he talked about doing VAT to remove a section of the lung with the tumor, but we felt he would have a better chance if the whole lobe was removed. He agreed. When did you find out about the lymph node? Were they able to tell during the surgery? Thanks for the info.

Karen H

I did have my surgery at Moffitt.

I had Dr Lary Robison.

They sent them to the lab, and checked them during surgery, so I knew as soon as I woke up.

My doc removed 12 nodes and only one was cancer.

I am praying. I think of you often.

Barb

I can't really imagine a surgical situation where they wouldn't sample lymph nodes as long as they were in there because the only definitive diagnosis comes from taking a tissue sample.

They took 15 from different locations when I had my surgery, even though nothing showed up in the PET scan.

Staging is so important, and nodes are a lot to do with staging, so I'm sure they're planning on taking samplings.

Cindy

Just had lower right lobectomy completed on 4/20/05. WHen surgeon did it I asked if he took any lymph nodes and he said yes, a 'bunch' I guess this is routine during surgery to make sure there is no further involvment. Well he called me today and said "good news" all lymph nodes are negative and the tumor was very small and I will not need chemo or radiation.

Same here with the lymph nodes, I think they took somewhere between 12 and 17 and in my case, luckily, they all tested clean.

Bill- Good to see you posting and am so glad to hear your news!!

Barb, I guess you know by all the postings that yes they do check the nymph nodes. That is what actually gives you the stage of LC. Depending on if they are all NED you stage would stay as you were first diagnoied. Then it would go up with the nymph lodes that come back postive.

My husband had his upper left lobe removed. They took about 4 or 5 of his nymph lodes and his lymph nodes and they all came back NED. It took close to 4 days to get the results. That was nerve racking.

Pray all turns out NED for you hubby.

Maryanne