Peter Jennings died of LC

Maryanne

This is so very sad. My condolances to his family and friends. I'd heard a blip on Fox News early Sunday morning that ABC news had notified their affiliates that Mr. Jennings was "gravely ill," and then later found out he didn't make it through the night. I just prayed for comfort and peace for all of them. It will be difficult for his family in the coming days, seeing his face on tv screens everywhere. I just can't imagine.

Di

I was shocked to see the way they are spinning this on GMA. Is anyone else a little bit aggravated it is not focusing on the fact it is not JUST a smokers disease. Also not mention it is the most underfunded cancer. The message board is making me mad as well. I am not denouncing how horrible smoking is, but their coverage on it has been appauling. Bacially if you smoke then you get lung cancer....are we really fighting this uphill battle.

Also the expert they had on LC was hilarious he said how more women are getting lung cancer (which is true) but he stated that it is declining in men because obviously men have listened to the message that smoking causes cancer? So women are not paying attention so that is why they are increasing their risk? imagine. sorry had to rant. What a sad day though, Peter Jennings was my favorite anchor. I was so sad to hear he had to battle this and even sadder about the news today. My thoughts and prayers are with is family.

I'm with you. I thought the piece with "our" Lisa had been so well done, and touched those bases, and then watching hours of coverage about Peter Jennings, it seemed to have just been thrown out. I was ready to strangle that doctor from the Cleveland Clinic this morning while Diane Sawyer interviewed him -- he was NOT telling the real story. He, like many others, is honed in on one thing - smoking. So, sorry about those of you who never smoked, he apparently has no room for you in his practice. Unbelievable.

When they point out that lung cancer kills more people in a year than several other types combined, I always keep waiting for them to finish the sentence with a blurb about the severe underfunding, but I rarely hear it. Too bad.

My heart breaks for Mr. Jennings and his family, just like it breaks everytime we lose someone here in this forum. But unless someone gets on the ball and figures out that smoking is NOT the only villain in all this, I guess we should all just be prepared for more and more heartbreak.

Sorry to vent, but I related totally to your post, and thank you for writing it.

Di

I wrote them an email bascially saying how sad I was about the loss, but how appauled I was at their coverage. I told them they had the perfect opportunity to really help this disease that took one of their own and they failed. I basically said how it is very near and dear to my heart and maybe they can come up with some ideas for November since it is lung cancer awarness and have something in his honor to promote ALL apsects of this disease. To really help promote funding, advocacy and education on this disease. Hopefully they will listen.

I was happy to see the tribute on this man though. I feel for his family and friends. I was 26 when i lost my dad 2 years ago and I know his children are close in that age. It is so devasting I pray for them.

I'm sure the news was as disheartening for everyone as it was for me.All I could think was that even with every resource in the world available to Mr. Jennings they STILL couldn't back the beast down. It's hard to fathom such a loss.

Trish

Let us all pray that his death will mean something for all of current and future LC sufferers. Maybe the world will finally take notice. How about a live "Lung Aid" concert.

I think it might be an effective approach to maybe do a public service announcement? An approach from people who were JUST as shocked to find out when they or their loved one were diagnosed with this type of cancer that it is NOT only for smokers!! That is not to say to not include the fact that smoking is obvious a huge factor but we really need to break that stigma.

I too was very sad in hearing this news. I turned on the news before bed last night and was shocked. I laid in bed for 1/2 hour crying. I thought if he could not beat this thing with all his resources how can my Dad stand a chance. Peter was dx. shortly after my Dad and around the same age.

I too hope that Peter Jennings death will bring more funding for lung cancer. I will pray for his family.

Denise

I've noticed a real theme of discouragement running through the posts about Peter Jennings' death, with an empasis on the fact that he had money and access to whatever medical care exists in the world and he STILL didn't beat it, so how can I (or my loved one?)

We don't know all the details of Jennings' cancer or his health in general. One thing I've learned from this family is that with lung cancer ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL!

It just goes to show that while being able to afford good care is important, attitude, general health, genetic make-up, and faith may be equally important. And maybe some of us are stronger and luckier in those categories than Peter Jennings might have been.

We've lost some dear friends here recently and that has been hurtful and scary. It's hard NOT to identify with others and compare experiences. In the same way that GOOD NEWS reports lift us all up, GRIEVING news can shake us up a little.

But, if this news is weakening your hope, stop and think of all the news reports about wealthy, powerful people who have been killed in car crashes - Princess Diana, James Dean, Jayne Mansfield, Dale Earnhardt, for instance - money and power couldn't save them. But that news probably doesn't make you feel more likely to be killed when you're in a car.

Remember to put things in perspective and not loose your momentum because someone else didn't make it to the top of the mountain. YOU still can!

Leslie