Update on Dana Reeve....

niececola

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dana Reeve, who spent nine years caring for her paralyzed husband, Christopher Reeve, until his death last year, announced Tuesday that she has lung cancer.

Reeve, 44, said she decided to disclose her illness following rumors about her health in the media.

"I have recently been diagnosed with lung cancer, and am currently undergoing treatment," Reeve said in a statement. "I have an excellent team of physicians, and we are optimistic about my prognosis."

"Now, more than ever, I feel Chris with me as I face this challenge," she said. "As always, I look to him as the ultimate example of defying the odds with strength, courage and hope in the face of life's adversities."

Reeve, who starred in the "Superman" films, was paralyzed in a horse-riding accident in 1995. He died October 10, 2004.

Dana Reeve, an actress, was a constant companion and supporter of her husband during his long ordeal and his work for a cure for spinal cord injuries.

She is chairwoman of the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation, which funds research on paralysis.

To date, it has awarded $55 million in research grants and $7.5 million in quality of life grants.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I was saddened to hear this this morning on the radio. She's had so much to live through already.

First I prayed for her full recovery. Then, this feels weird to admit, I prayed that her illness might serve some good purpose by generating additional public support and momentum for research and greater understanding for people with LC. Seems selfish. But it's the truth. It's the only good that might come out of her illness, and Jennings' death.

xoxo

amie

Wow, not only is she young with a child , but alone, and probably still moarning the loss of her husband. She needs a lot of support. That is sad news. Donna G

This is terrible news. One thing she will have going for her is her strength. She has to be a very strong young woman to have faced the crisis in her life to date. I pray that her condition was discovered in a very early stage.