Cervuical cancer to Lung cancer

z

These studies show that there is an increased risk for a second primary cancer after cervical cancer

-------------------------------------------

Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109, USA.

A retrospective cohort study of women with cancers of the lower anogenital tract was derived from the Michigan Tumor Registry records for the years 1985-1992. Incidence rates of invasive cervical, vulvar, vaginal and anal cancers were analyzed with respect to age, race, year of diagnosis, stage at diagnosis, and histopathology. The incidence of metachronous primary cancers following initial primaries of the cervix was also investigated. Anogenital cancers constituted about 4% of all cancers in Michigan women between 1985 and 1992. Age-adjusted incidence rates per 100,000 women per year for each site were found to be as follows: 10.1 (cervix), 1.9 (vulva), 1.0 (vagina), and 0.6 (anus). The incidence rates of women in the United States for cancers in the anogenital region were higher in blacks than in whites, with the exception of vulvar cancer. U.S. blacks were more likely to develop squamous cell carcinomas, but less likely to develop adenocarcinomas of the cervix and vagina when compared to whites. Over the 5- to 8-year follow-up period, 6.5% of the women with index cases of cervical cancer developed second primary cancers. This represented a 40% increase in the risk of incident primary cancers compared to the risk in the general population of Michigan women. The significant occurrence of second primaries of the vagina following index primaries of the cervix suggests a shared etiology, such as infection with human papillomavirus. The incidences of cancers related to smoking, including cancers of the urinary bladder, lung/bronchus, and lower anogenital tract were also increased.

----------------------

Second primary cancer after in situ and invasive cervical cancer.

Hemminki K, Dong C, Vaittinen P.

Department of Biosciences at Novum, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge, Sweden.

The Swedish Family-Cancer Database was used to analyze 9,426 second primary cancers in 117,830 subjects diagnosed with in situ and 17,556 subjects with invasive cervical cancer from the years 1958-1996. We calculated standardized incidence ratios (SIRs) from age- and period-specific rates for all women. SIRs were elevated after both in situ and invasive cervical cancer for cancers of the upper aerodigestive tract, anus, pancreas, lung, other female genitals, and urinary bladder. Anus and other female genitals, known targets of human papilloma virus, showed SIRs exceeding 3.0 and 10 or more within the year of diagnosis of cervical cancer, probably implying the effects of diagnostic intensity or transient faltering of host immunosurveillance. Among the remaining sites, smoking appeared to be the major cause, but for urinary bladder cancer it only explained one-half of the excess; human papilloma virus infection, possibly through immunosuppression, could account for the remaining excess. Although urinary bladder cancer showed a relatively small SIR compared with anal cancer, because it is more common, the number of attributable cases was about equal for the two sites. Invasive cervical cancer showed an SIR of 2.3 after in situ cancer. On follow-up, we also observed increased SIRs at many radiosensitive sites 10 or more years after diagnosis of invasive cervical cancer.

------------------------------------

Multiple primary malignancies involving lung cancer-clinical characteristics and prognosis.

Liu YY, Chen YM, Yen SH, Tsai CM, Perng RP.

Chest Department, Veterans General Hospital-Taipei, 201, Section 2 Shih-Pai Road, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC.

The incidence of multiple primary malignancies has increased in recent decades. The present study attempts to determine the clinical characteristics, the smoking factor, prognosis and temporal relationship of lung cancer to other cancers in patients with multiple primary malignancies. A total of 193 patients with multiple primary cancers involving lung cancer were found among 22,405 cancer cases diagnosed in Taipei Veterans General Hospital, between 1993 and 1997. Patients' clinical characteristics, smoking habit, tumor location, lung cancer histology, staging and survival were recorded and analyzed. The results showed that smoking is a significant risk factor for the development of multiple primary malignancies involving lung cancer (P<0.001). Of the 193 patients in this study, 51 had lung cancer diagnosed before the occurrence of other primary cancers (lung cancer first group, LCF group) and the remaining 142 patients had another cancer site develop ahead of the lung cancer (other cancer first group, OCF group). There was a significant difference between the time of the diagnosis of the first primary cancer to that of the second primary cancer in the LCF group and in the OCF group (median 10 vs. 46 months, P<0.001). For lung cancer staging, 53.3% of LCF patients suffered from stage I-II lung cancer, while 24.5% of OCF patients suffered from stage I-II lung cancer. Upper aerodigestive tract tumors were the most frequent tumors accompanying lung cancer, followed by colorectal and cervical cancer. Patients with cervical cancer were at a higher risk of developing lung cancer. Median survival was 65 months in the LCF patients and 81 months in the OCF patients, when calculated from the diagnosis of the first cancer (P=0.558). Median survival was 36 and 14 months, respectively, when calculated from the diagnosis of the second cancer (P=0.081). Median survival (37 vs. 14 months, P=0.085) and 3-year survival (62.5 vs. 25.4%, P=0.002), calculated from the diagnosis of the second primary lung cancer, was better in those LCF patients who developed another primary lung cancer than in the OCF patients who developed a second primary lung cancer. In conclusion, smoking is a risk factor for the development of multiple primary cancers. Upper aerodigestive tract cancer, colorectal cancer and cervical cancer were the tumors most frequently accompanying lung cancer. The staging status and median survival of patients who had a second primary lung cancer were better than in the general lung cancer population. Careful follow-up and intensive treatment is suggested for these patients.

Both seem to be squamous cell, and my doctors are saying it is almost impossible to determine whether it is a primary or methastasis from my cervical, and that at this point it matters not much anyway.

In brief, nobody really knows which one it is. No other areas of my body are lighting up on my pet-scan, if that helps

In any case, I am curious to speak to people who experienced lung cancer after cervical cancer, regardless of the details.

Thanks,

Z

Then you may wish to try and find a Cervial Cancer Support group and see if anyone their can assist you in your requests also.

Or, why not just post what it is you wish to ask people and see if anyone here can help you or maybe point you in the right direction.

It sounds like your trying to connect the two and I'm not sure that's an issue. I think even Dr. Cunningham mentioned that to you?

I guess maybe your question is unclear is what I am trying to say. :?:oops:

God Bless and Best of luck,

Connie

I will contact a cervical cancer group too, thanks.

Here I am interested in the experience of people who had cervical cancer before lung cancer - I am not sure what is not clear. I am interested in the therapies employed, and their effects.

If you look at one of the reports that were posted above, it states that people with cervical cancer are more likely to develop lung cancer. So, the two do seem linked in some way, even though pathology may not be able to clearly say whether they are one and the same or not.

Regards,

Z

Yes that is what the report says, but I'm not sure we have anyone here at LCSC that had Cervical cancer before lung cancer. I have to say, your the first in my memory. But, my memory isn't alway right on top of things. :roll:

I have never heard of anyone here or anyone on other boards that have had Cervical Cancer and have it connected to Lung Cancer either.

I sure hope you find someone that's in the same boat as you are. I also wish you all the best in your battle and journey.

I honestly know what your saying about trying to hook up with someone that has had what you have.

I had that same issue a couple of years ago when I was dx.d with a Myxoma tumor in my left atrium. :shock: It's frustrating. Good luck.

There is a Gynecologic Cancer support group called Gyngals.org also Eyesontheprize.org, I know they both have people who have had cervical cancer and some with mets to the lung. I personally had cervical cancer in situ at age 25 and vulvar cancer stage 1 at age 32, Both were squamous cell carcinoma. I now have lung nodules which are of concern for metastatic disease. I am being followed every 3 months and for 1 yr they have been stable. Hope one of those groups can help you better with your questions.

Actually my mother was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 1997 and had a historectomy in early 1998 and then was diagnosed with Lung Cancer in 2001. The LC was found during a routine follow up check for the cervical cancer. Her oncologist did not seem to think that the two were related but as you stated below they have no way of knowing for sure.

If you want to talk specifics, please feel free to PM me.

Much Love,

Amy