Tarceva - an appetite question

gail p-m

My father has been on Tarceva for about a month now. Although he hasn't complained of nausea, he has the Tarceva rash. He also has no appetite and has lost weight. I haven't read posts where people complain about lack of appetite from Tarceva and wonder if any of you have experienced this. Also are any of you anemic from Tarceva or is that just coincidence for my Dad?

Thanks.

Gail p-m

I haven't had either problem with Iressa or Tarceva. But my Tarceva side effects are starting to get stronger now that I've been taking it 2 months, so who knows? I don't think I've heard anything about anemia being related to Tarceva. I think that may be caused by something else.

Leslie

My father has been on Tarceva for about a month now. Although he hasn't complained of nausea, he has the Tarceva rash. He also has no appetite and has lost weight. I haven't read posts where people complain about lack of appetite from Tarceva and wonder if any of you have experienced this. Also are any of you anemic from Tarceva or is that just coincidence for my Dad?

Thanks.

Gail p-m

Gail :

IMO there isn't a clinically significant relationship b/w Tarceva tx and loss of appetite / weight loss. However, I can see a possible indirect cause for this with Tarceva if G.I. symptoms, esp. diarrhea, were severe and persistent. In my wife's case, she has gained ~ 10 to 12 lbs. since starting Tarceva in March ' 05. Her G.I. symptoms are negligible but when she does have a bout of diarrhea her weight will quickly drop a couple of pounds then she gains it back over the following few days. Also, as you may know, the cancer process itself, particularly in the later stages, can cause weight loss ( cachexin / tumor necrosis factor ), RE: impact on blood values, based on my wife's hematology reports and collateral data, I don't see any Tarceva-induced abnormalities other than a modest elevation in a couple of liver function values. Overall, Tarceva has been easier on my wife's blood than her previous chemo regimen ( Gemzar / Carboplatin ).

Hope this helps.

Hi Gail,

I have been on Tarceva since the beginning of April this year. I have lost around 13 kgs (about 30 pounds I think??). I dont have much of an appetite to be honest, but I also have the rash in my mouth and on my tongue so that makes eating difficult.

I do have to force myself to eat and food just doesnt seem appealing anymore. Mind you, it seems I have a coke addiction, as in cola. Cant get enough of the stuff!!!!