Clown helps others fight cancer

Donna G

In our Sunday St. Paul Pioneer Press there was an article about a women in Wisconsin who dresses up as Luci Lou the clown.

"Underneath that big red wig, the spongy red nose, the polka dot outfit and the floppy shoes w3as Luci Faytle, a 57 year old lung cancer patient at the clinic for her daily radiation treatment.

Wish I could find the whole article for you.

Clown helps others fight cancerPioneer Press, MN - Aug 28, 2005 like children, giggling with laughter and glowing with smiles, as “Luci Lou” the clown appeared at the doors of the Vince Lombardi Cancer Clinic at Kenosha’s

Pioneer Press, MN - Aug 28, 2005 like children, giggling with laughter and glowing with smiles, as “Luci Lou” the clown appeared at the doors of the Vince Lombardi Cancer Clinic at Kenosha’s

Donna G

Hi Ann

Here is the article:

BY MARK HORNICKEL

Kenosha News

KENOSHA — It started about 8 o'clock each Friday morning.

Patients and staff lined up like children, giggling with laughter and glowing with smiles, as "Luci Lou" the clown appeared at the doors of the Vince Lombardi Cancer Clinic at Kenosha's Aurora Medical Center. One by one, Luci planted kisses on the cheeks of anyone who wanted them.

"That's Luci all the way," said her husband, Rick. "That's her personality. When those shoes hit the pavement — wow. She acts the same way every day, but even more animated now."

Underneath that big red wig, the spongy red nose, the polka dot outfit and the floppy shoes was Luci Faytle, a 57-year-old lung cancer patient at the clinic for her daily radiation treatment.

She's been clowning around since the mid-1970s, when a neighbor talked her into dressing up as a clown for a fundraiser in her hometown of Delavan.

"I became 'Festy the Clown' to help raise funds, and I had a ball doing it," Faytle said. "It was fun, but I knew nothing about clowning at all. I'd go to parades and I'd see little kids, and I'd make them happy and that was enough for me. But I didn't know anything about doing makeup or tricks. It was just me."

Faytle attended a clown camp in La Crosse, Wis., to learn everything from applying clown makeup to doing tricks. She even persuaded her family to clown with her. And when Delavan opened a clown hall of fame, Faytle created a second character, Luci Lou.

In May, a coughing spell forced Faytle to check into an emergency room for some tests. Doctors said her lung cancer could not be removed surgically, but she was determined not to let that stop her.

She began radiation treatment five days a week at the Kenosha clinic, which coincided with weekly chemo-therapy at the Lombardi Clinic in Elkhorn. Friday mornings, Faytle went to Kenosha as Luci Lou before traveling to Elkhorn.

"They were shocked the first day that I showed up" in full clown dress, she said.

What began as a way for Faytle to take control of what was happening to her turned into a mechanism for making others happy.

"You're going for test after test after test after test and you feel like you're not in control of anything ever, someone else's taking over," Faytle said. "I'm one of those personalities that says I'm in control all the time, and I have to give that up. So there had to be something of me that came out that I felt I could do that was mine."

Kathy Dale, a Pleasant Prairie woman with breast cancer, said she's felt a bond with Faytle. Dale said their eyes met a few weeks ago when another patient tolled a special bell to signify the end of treatment. Faytle hadn't dressed in her clown garb that day, and it was later that Dale learned about Luci Lou.

"I'm not afraid to go around without my hat, and the first day she was here dressed as a clown, she said, 'Do I dare?' and 'Yes I do!' and she kissed me right on the top of my bald head and put a kiss sticker on there."

The kisses, hugs and warm hellos are a bright spot in the staff's stressful days. Many of them have proudly worn the clown's kiss stickers and paraphernalia to meetings and the cafeteria.

"It's so contagious and it's so inspiring, and I just want to go tell people about it," said Deni Kraabel, manager of radiation oncology at the Kenosha clinic.

This month, Faytle completed her eighth and final week of treatment. Luci Lou, however, did not make an appearance this time, as Faytle wanted to go through it as herself.

One last time, Faytle went through the routine. Afterward, it was her turn to toll the clinic's symbolic bell to signal the end of her treatment.

Friends and family tearfully surrounded Faytle, along with her new friends at the clinic.

Faytle then accepted the small mallet and rang the bell three times, grimacing and using all her might.

Now she can only hope her physical treatment has helped and her body will react positively to it.

She adds, "What it's done mentally for me, I don't know if I can explain that to you."

Maryanne

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2005 St. Paul Pioneer Press and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.twincities.com

Thanks for sharing this article.

It doesn't take money or special training to make a difference in other people's lives - just the determination to try. I choose not to try more often than I do out of fear of being rejected, laughed at, or ignored. Gotta get over that! Will re-read this article from time to time as a reminder and an inspiration.

Leslie