Navelbine or Taxotere

CharlieD

Had 3 month CT Scan yesterday which showed progression of disease. Posted in Test Time/Results forum. Was given the option of either Taxotere or Navelbine. I see that some of you have had experience with both of these. Would love to hear your comments on both of them please. Probably won't start chemo for a couple months. Still feeling real good, walking two miles a day, fishing and playing golf. Would really appreciate any info on either drug. Thank you all and God Bless.

CharlieD

Hi Charlie.

I had Taxotere. I switched from Taxol, which was more harsh for me than the taxotere.

I had muscle aches like John, and also bone pain starting about the 2nd or 3rd day after injection. Mouth sores. Oh, you know, regular stuff. Put me on the couch for awhile.

Good luck with whatever you decide, Charlie.

Cindi o'h

Charlie,

I am so sorry to hear about your progression. I've been on Taxotere also, it was easier than the Taxol, but I also experienced the muscle aches, neuropathy, hair loss, mouth sores, all the common side effects from the "older" chemo's. However, I experience the same type of muscle aches with Alimta, but as you know everyone is different.

No experience with the Navelbine, sorry. Why are they waiting to start you for a couple of months? Haven't you been off Alimta since June? Sorry you have to get back on the chemo regimine. It sucks.

TAnn

Charlie,

I've been waiting for this post. I'm so sorry to hear that you have had progression. On the other hand , I'm glad to hear that you feel good. As for the choice in chemotherapy, I can give you Mike's experience in both.

The taxotere made him quite fatigued , but it initially did cause shrinkage after 3 treatments . After the 3 treatments he began to experience superior vena cava syndrome due to growth of the tumor and had to have a stent put in. Overall, the doctor says the taxotere is the one that caused neuropathy in his fingers and toes also. It is a pretty strong drug, we were told. He was on Navelbine also and he felt very good during that treatment, but it wasn't effective .. there was some shrinkage in the lung , some increase in the adrenal mass. It was probably the mildest chemo drug he has taken. Hang in there, I know there are others that have taken these drugs also and don't let our experiences discourage you. You know too well that everyone reacts differently.

Go grab Cindi to go fishing with you. She's feeling pretty frisky these days.. :wink: and she can keep your minnow bucket filled with rot gut. Take care Charlie and know that Mike and I are keeping you in our prayers.

Love,

Sue

Lucie has experienced both. Her original chemo was Taxotere/Carboplatin. She had mets all through her bone structure, and needed immediate big guns. The combination gave her practically all the side effects listed as she progressed. Bottom line: it worked!

The secomd time around she was on Navelbine alone (more bone mets and a lung met). It was milder on her and it also worked.

This is really an individual thing. I have seen people on here who had no big problem with Taxotere, but did with Navelbine. I would be tempted to ask the onc what he would choose if he were in your place. He knows your history best. Don

I am currently on Taxotere - every 3 weeks - probably for 5 treatments. It has been worse than the Taxol/Carbo I had before. I've had almost every side effect, hair loss after the first treatment, mouth sores, eye problems, severe pain in my legs and hips, extreme fatigue. But I just tell myself that all these side effects means that the Taxotere is working! The side effects go away about a week before I start my next treatment, so there are a few good days mixed in with the awful ones.

Charlie,

As several have said, everybody's different. Charlie has had both drugs. Neither worked for him. He had some severe (but rare) side-effects from the Navelbine. He did pretty well on the Taxotere. He was on a weekly infusion schedule at a lower dose for the Taxotere so he could tolerate it better. Just had fatigue.

I personally believe you need to get a 2nd opinion at this point. I think one of the reasons that my Charlie has been fighting this battle for over 20 months is the doctor's aggressiveness. Every time there has been any progression, the dr. has worked quickly to get him going on the next chemo./clincial trial, radiation, etc. Praying for you! Take care.