Dizziness(?)

Hi, I've been a member of this site for about a year and a half, and I used to have the name "Ben Nyc". I don't live there anymore, so I changed it. Secondly, I'm sorry that I've been selfish and only posted a couple of questions as opposed to responses. Perhaps now I'll troll the boards looking for something I can help out with now that I have experience.

My question is upcoming and about dizziness, but I'll give a small history first. My mom has been told she can stop fighting, but she refuses, which is fine, but she also continues to do things that most people with that diagnosis would not do, such as walk. When I went to my parents house today I found her very slowly trying to cut vegetables for a dinner that she insisted that she would cook for herself (i ended up cooking it). I admire her fortitude and respect it. But her inability to do things efficiently or safely have become a bit of an overt joke in our house that we all smile and chuckle at(including my mom). When she starts doing a little dance to music, or insists on excercising by taking a trip up and down the steps, or getting herself a drink from the fridge instead of letting someone else do it, we watch her and help her.

She does not fight or anything like you might find in an archetypal cancer movie, she just lived her life doing things, and continues to do them without asking for permission, and if you ask her if she'd like help, she kind of snaps out of her task and realizes that "yes I'd like a little help, thanks guy. you're so nice". So, clearly she's not putting up a huge struggle to keep her old life, she just fights to keep her life.

The thing is, she's lost a lot of weight, she's about 100 after weighing about 140 (5'1") and she's fallen once badly, and today I caught her (accidentally) from falling face first into a chair. I've asked her what that's about and she says that she just doesn't have the balance she once had.

Has anyone else experienced a patient that fought so hard that they continued to do tasks without a second thought, when they should be completely bedridden, and if so, are they generally "dizzy".

Thanks for any help, this is just curiosity not really dire.

Welcome back, Benny! I am pretty new here, so I don't remember you from before but maybe it would be a good idea to check with your mom's doc? Perhaps there is something he/she can prescribe for the dizziness. There could be many reasons for her dizziness and it wouldn't hurt to check it out

Your mom's *spirit* is wonderful, Benny. God Bless her and your entire family.

Libby

she takes fentany lollipops for her shingles so that in itself will make her dizzy, however, her dizziness has occured well before she was given this medication, so my question only has to do with normal weight/muscle loss and whether this is common for underweight chemo patients.

Hi,

My Dad is also very dizzy when he stands up. This has been going on for about 3 months. They have tried and tested everything. Home Care nurse said it was very common for advanced cancer patients to be dizzy. Their central nervous system is all messed up from the cancer. His blood pressure drops dramatically when he stands up. Apparently there is nothing they can do for this. Does your Mom have a walker in the house? We got one from the American Cancer Society free of charge. I must say I love your Mom's spirit, but I know you must be worried about her falling.

Denise

Hi,

my husband will sometimes get dizzy and this is primarily due to low blood pressure. I have a home blood pressure machine that helps me keep an eye on it and when it gets real low I just remind him to get up slowly and be careful when he walks.

Debbie

Husband Alan DX with Small cell lung cancer Jan 10th 2005