2nd scan results

troy

My mom received her results today about her 2nd scan. After her 1st scan her main tumor had shrunk 50% and every other spot had also shrunk or been resolved. This report today is not as good. Her main tumor had grown a little (5mm), while everything else was clean. The ONC told her not to be discouraged that this was still treatable. She will start radiation on Monday. I really dont know what to think. Im so scared. Is the ONC just trying to keep her spirits up or can it be treated??Please help and tell me something good.

Troy, I would say that sounds like a good report to me. Mine have grown smaller, bigger, disappeared, reappeared as I go along. You do not have any info on Stage, etc about your mom? If you have faith and confidences in your onc (him/her) I would put my trust in them. If not I would get a second opinion. You can also (top right corner) ask in "Ask The Experts" for more guidance, but they would need to know a little more info on your mom. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best. Rich

My mom received her results today about her 2nd scan. After her 1st scan her main tumor had shrunk 50% and every other spot had also shrunk or been resolved. This report today is not as good. Her main tumor had grown a little (5mm), while everything else was clean. The ONC told her not to be discouraged that this was still treatable. She will start radiation on Monday. I really dont know what to think. Im so scared. Is the ONC just trying to keep her spirits up or can it be treated??Please help and tell me something good.

I think we all want to have treatment, then a scan that says we're all clear. The reality is often quite different.

I've learned that these drugs and radiation work over time, and that when we have scans showing clearing, stability, or whatever, it isn't necessarily a bad thing. When I was first diagnosed, I wanted to have the chemo and radiation, and have it be done with - over. Cured. That just isn't always realistic, although it's something to hope for.

At this stage, things are scary largely because of the unknown. IMO, educating yourself and helping your mom to understand this disease better will be a big help.

You both have my best wishes.

Di

Troy, overall it is good news when dealing with LC. She is clean except for the main tumor which has grown SLIGHTLY. There are treatments, such as the radiation, that can help decrease this one. Hang in there. My wife, Lucie, is in her third protocol of chemo over three years, and some radiation here and there, and she is still going strong and having a good life. Don

Hi Troy,

Please try and be optimistic. My dad's tumor was 5x7 cm big! Once the radiation started it zapped gone! Please try not to worry. She has only had 2 chemo treatments...the doctor is just getting started!

Keep us posted. I will be thinking of you and your mom!

love,

jorja

Sounds good to me so far. Keep the faith and have faith in her Onchologist. He seems to know what he is doing. Don't worry these are positive results.

Keep us posted and fill out a profile so we know what is going on.

Take care,

Maryanne

Troy,

I think Katie said it best, but I just wanted to add for you that I know some LONG TERM Small Cell LC Survivors as well. One had extensive and is 6+ year out and NED, and the other is Limited 5+ years out, and NED.

For some odd reason, they say Small Cell response well to Chemo. So, lets just hope they are just trying to find the right combo for your mom.

Oh by the way, that I know of, the Onc's aren't in the business of keeping patients spirits up, but it's a nice fringe benefit to your mom if he does that. :wink: They really don't beat around the bush, there pretty straight forward and say it like it is. Those days of Doc's not telling you everything are LONG GONE! :wink: (In most cases)

Keep your chin up, as hard as that can be sometimes.

This isn't an easy fight, but it's doable.