Mom's Cancer

My mother was diagnosed with NSC on July 1, 2003. She is a stage IV. They give her six months with no treatment. She was going to try the chemo and then decided that she wanted quality of life. Her cancer is on the outside linings of her lungs. Three nodules in one lung and one in the other. She is 78 years old. Her chemo would of been carboplatin and Taxol. I hope that I spelled that right. She seems very normal right now and I am wondering how this cancer will progress and what she will go through. She does seem to choke on some foods and does vomit at times. I have read on this site all that the family's and cancer victims go through. We have just got oxygen at home for at night. Our doctors were real straight forward and answered all the questions that we had at our meeting. We would never of suspected anything was wrong, but she went in for a physical and the doctor listened to her lungs and sent her on. She has had a biopsy, a cat scan-which didn't show it anywhere else. I find strength and courage on all of the post's that I have read. Tonetta

Just wanted to tell you that my Dad is 79 and has gone through 2 rounds of Carbo/Taxol. He has actually tolerated the chemo not too badly. (He does have other medical problems which has made this whole lc thing that much harder). However, I've been surprised at how he's tolerated the chemo. Yes, a lot of tiredness for a week to 10 days after but then he does not too badly. His doctors never gave stats as to how much time he has with or without treatment and I think everyone on this board will tell you it's an individual thing. Some with Stage 4 have lived for 2 or 3 years and enjoy a good quality of life. So please give it some thought -- perhaps even a 2nd opinion from another oncologist.

Good luck.

Prayers and thoughts sent your way.

Gail

Tonetta,

I have only had one person I knew personally that decided not to take treatment. That was back in 1982 and he had a little more quality time then either of my parents who went through this same disease back in 1972 and 73. they all seemed to live with it for about 11 months.

Today, I really believe it is a little different. I do believe the chemo and radiation, and surgery can give a person a better chance but the treatments are extremely hard on the body and being 78 yrs young would be very hard in my book. my husband is 70 and he has yet to have what i would consider a good day and it has now been just over 1 year since diognosed and 11 months since the operation. If it is any help to you, if this is the first time you have had to deal with lung cancer, being through what I have been through as a caregiver, and age 78, I would choose the same as your mother....God bless her and tell her a stranger sends her love and prayers....

Tonetta,

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. My mom is 65 years old and was diagnosed in lung cancer in March. She has undergone 10 carbo/taxol treatments and she has handled the treatments very well. Her side effects are minimal. I feel it is everyone's choice in whether they want to receive treatment or not. I just don't want you to get discouraged by the doctor's guesstimate of 6 months. No one knows how long we will be on this earth. Enjoy each day and never give up hope. All the best to you and your mother.

Guest Michael

I'm so very sorry to hear about your Mom. Since Mom has decided against treatment I would suggest you visit a website www.kushiinstitute.com. Click on Healing and read the story of Janet E. Vitt, a very advanced lung cancer survivor who today is doing quite well. Of course there are no guarantees but why not consider all your options. You will find this site interesting.

As hard as it can be on the family, the ultimate decider on treatment is the patient. Think about it -- you would want that power for yourself if it were you. It doesn't mean you shouldn't bring info to your mom that might persuade her otherwise. Best to you. Don

When my dad was first dx the doc had told me that maybe it was better for my dad to live his quality of life instead of going though all the chemo and trauma. but he did anyways and it is one year later he has been w/o chemo and radiation for 8 mos now. My dad is 59. Anyone can beat the fight against cancer and you wont know unless you try. I have faith now because of all these wonderful people on this site I pray for everyone here everynight.. and know that miracles do happen just never lose hope. =)

My dad was 77 and receiving chemotherapy. He fared okay, but he didnt like chemo. I can't say whether he would have had a better quality of life or not. Please get second opinions, look up clinical trials. Look up low dose chemotherapy. Try alternative treatments. Of course, the patient should decide, but try to persuade them to look at all options. good luck!

Dad is stage IV and has elected treatment. He tolerated his course of radiation fairly well and seems to be doing fine with the chemo thus far. He does have tired days and good days, but the good are terrific times. We pray for a year or more for him. He too is deciding what is right for him. He has told us when he feels it isn't quality life he will stop treatment. But so far he is staying the course of treatment. It is definitely the patient's decision to make though...it is their right. Dad is 71 and was always a very strong, muscular man. You take care and I will say a prayer for you and your Mom.