My scans

Guest MomOTwins

Guest MomOTwins

Well.................there are several lesions in my brains and the lymph node in my chest shows growth. So I go to see the radiation oncologist tomorrow. Thank you for all your prayers.

Oh, is this bad? I mean, am I probably not going to last much longer?

Thanks,

Veronica

Veronica,

please do not give up hope. Hope is all we have. Radiation can do wonderful things to slow or even stop growth. Please don't be like my mom and give in. Once you give in, cancer knows its won and will take over. Please find some will to fight. Do it for your kids. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

Hello and welcome -

Brain metastasis can be treatable. Don't give up hope. If you want to know approximately how much time you might have left, ask your physician(s). But remember that what they tell you will be based upon the cases of most people who came before you with this disease, not based upon who you are. They will report average life span, not the best you can hope for. The best physicians will admit that they are only estimating, and plenty of people defy those estimates. Many people choose not to know the statistics and not to ask how long the doc thinks they'll live. Choose what you think is best for you and your significant others. Best wishes, Teresa

You're in my thoughts and prayers. And brain mets and lymph mets are treatable, so don't give up hope!

About statistics, there's a great article on this website: http://www.cancerguide.org/

on statistics by Stephen J. Gould, a cancer survivor and brilliant scientist. Most statistics report the MEDIAN survival rate. This means that 1/2 of the people live less time, one half live more time. So, if the median survival is 5 years, that means that 1/2 live more than five years. They plot it on a curve, with the median being in the middle, less time on the left side, and more time on the right side. So, what Dr. Gould recommends is: figure out how to be on the right-hand side of the curve! If you decide to try to figure out "how much time" and ask your doctor or read up on statistics, then I would recommend Dr. Gould's article as a "must read." I read the stats about my mom and was pretty depressed until I read Dr. Gould's article and it made me want to figure out how to help her be on the right hand side of the curve. Anyway, maybe this will help.

The web site I mentioned has a lot of excellent info and links besides that article, by the way, and is done by a cancer survivor.

Praying for ya,

Terre

Veronica,

ok, heres the thing, no cancer is good. Period. The point is ITS TREATABLE. I know for sure brain mets are treatable cause my mom had about 14-18 of them and they are gone after 14 rad treatments. Bone mets are treatable as well with radiation. plenty of people on here have HAD (past tense) them taken care of.

so no, any cancer at all isn't a good thing, but its can be taken care of. so dont get down.

Guest MomOTwins

Thank you for your encouragement. It is good to know that your Mom's brain mets have disappeared. So will mine. Then we'll do some chemo on this thing in my chest.

Thank you very much.

Veronica

Dear Mom,

I have cancer spread to mesiastinal lymph nodes. I am in my last week of radiation and have one more week of chemo. Yesterday, my chemo onc told me the tumor has shrunk! There is hope!

My mom had 5 kids when she was diagnosed with lymphomia. Some years later, Dad was diagnosed with cancer too. The doctors removed her entire stomach and it had spread all through out the the lymph system. She lived to see to her children grow up enough to take care of them selves and one another! She gave up her battle only because my Dad lost his fight with cancer. Within two weeks, mom simply let go. My point is, peple live longer when they decide to live longer! Do not forget some even go into complete remission!! You have something so precious, and they need you! When you look at your beautiful gifts from God, those kids will motivate you to fight. Your desire to survive this will see you through the journey! You will have some dark days. I still have mine, but the clouds do break an allow the sunshine to come through!

Cheryl

Cheryl

Stay as positive as you can and focus on winning this battle. You cannot afford to give this disease one inch....it will thrive on a negative attitude. If they have identified where it is at then go throught treatment and visualize yourself attacking it and WINNING!!!! Don't you dare believe this thing has you licked...you are Tough and can beat it back..just believe in treatment and pull from your inner strength....we are all praying for you...pull from our strength and belief in you too..good luck and God bless!!

Veronica, as people have said, cancer is not good news, but you can overcome it. Be sure you get the best treatment possible, get emotional support, get an advocate for your medical journey (someone who will accompany you and fight for you to get the best, like a family member or a good friend), and keep positive. It is normal to have funks, even depression, but it behooves you to get yourself up each time and fight back! Good luck, and keep posted here. Lots of caring, info and support. Don

Oh dear - keep in mind MANY people have had sucess treating those mets - you will too!! You know you can count on all of us here for constant support - it's what we do best! Prayers are going up for you right now for strength for your fight ahead. Hugs to you,

Terrie