City of Hope Event (from Fay's substitute!)

BeckyCW

Well, folks -- I'm reporting in on the City of Hope event this evening. Fay was frustrated not to be able to be there, as you know. And I was frustrated not to be able to meet her there. But she sent me lots of info by email, and I was able to print up most of it and take it with me. The people who came tonight appreciated your thoughts.

MY frustration was that the event was so lightly attended. It was a weeknight and on a rainy kind of evening, so maybe that was it. Still...

Many of the people who came were there to get help to stop smoking. I did meet one wonderful 83-year-old gentleman from England who is a 5-year survivor with one lung, who bragged to me about his lawn bowling and other sporting activities. He was an inspiration.

Another inspiration: I ran into an old acquaintance who was a volunteer fundraiser for the childhood cancer research group I used to work for. Spencer is a many-year survivor (I forget, but at least 15 years) of mesothelioma -- an almost unheard of feat. He's 5 years past his last surgery now, and looks great. He's also a 2-time survivor of testicular cancer, before that. This is a man who's been through a lot, almost died several times, and there he was, chipper as usual!

Then there were the 2 teenage girls whose father had dragged them there because one of them had started to smoke recently. (They're SO lucky I didn't know that when they came to the LCSC table - ha!) I talked with the dad later.

Honestly, folks, I only met ONE lung cancer patient, and several people who had lost loved ones to the disease. But they all have LCSC cards now, as do all the healthcare professionals I met, so maybe we'll get a few more visitors.

Now I'm looking forward to meeting Nancy this weekend at the event in Pasadena. Anybody else in So. California planning to come?

Fay, thank you SO much for all your hard work, including sending me things to print for tonight. But I'm really glad you didn't try to make the drive!

BeckyCW

Becky, thanks so much for going. I am sorry there was a light turn-out, hopefully Saturday in Pasadena will be better. I am really looking forward to meeting you and Andrea and Andrea's Mom. I am hoping that Fay can come Saturday too. Rain is suppose to stop by tonight, I think, so Saturday should be dry.

We will be easily recognizable. Two adorable chubby people, with the mommy having better hair and better skin and better make up :?

I'll be in my standard weekend uniform, the blue LCSC t-shirt :) I may possibly have a red suedish jacket on over it b/c my mom is not as m uch of a fan of thte t-shirt :roll:

Becky,

Thank you so very much for going. I am STILL frustrated that I couldn't be there, even if attendance was low. We can't know whose life will be changed because someone who DID attend has information on LCSC because you were there to give it to them. And I have no doubt that someone will be helped because you showed up on a rainy weekday night. The sheer numbers of those diagnosed with Lung Cancer each year pretty much guarantees that every one of the few people who did attend this event knows someone who either has the disease or cares for someone who does. There are just too many of us. :(

I am especially glad you were able to speak with the various healthcare professionals.

So it sounds to me like you planted some seeds for thought in the minds of a number of people in a position to help those who have Lung Cancer. And I thank you for doing so.

You know, it has taken Breast Cancer advocates almost 20 years to attain the support they have garnered in 2005. I believe the catalyst for them was the article that came out in the late 1980s that stated that mostly overweight, affluent, jewish women developed breast cancer. It was an offensive thing to say, but those woman took the information and they mobilized...and as a direct result of their efforts the genes associated with the familial forms of breast cancer were identified.

We are just starting out...It will take time before Society is ready to really hear us. I only hope that when the time comes that we are no longer Society's Whipping Boys and Girls that we won't allow any others to be pushed into that role.

Once again, Becky, thank you so much.

Much Affection,

Fay A.

Becky, thank you so much for attending and being such a wonderful representative for our group. I think everytime we spread the word to just one person, we are making great strides, as that person will pass the word on to someone else.

You're all right, of course -- If only one person is helped because they heard about LCSC and they come here for support, that's a very good thing! I guess I just couldn't help thinking that if the event had been for breast cancer, for instance, there might have been more people there.

In any case, my hat is off to City of Hope for giving people the opportunity to come and learn, and for working hard to make the event happen. And my hat is even further off (way-across-the-room off) to Fay for working so hard on the event even after she knew she couldn't be there!

I'm so looking forward to meeting Nancy & Andrea and her mom on Saturday! (and getting my cookbooks, too!) Fay, it's a long drive for a morning event, but we'd sure love to see you -- if you still have roads left after that flash flooding! :roll:

BeckyCW

I would love to attend, but I have a conflict. The General Contractor on my Kitchen and house remodel has taken my money, failed to pay the subcontractor, abandoned the job and, and left us with no cooking or washing facilities, a wall that is down to the studs, bad electrical work and no kitchen plumbing, etc. Today I learned that his other clients are filing suit against him for failure to complete their projects.

On Saturday morning I am meeting with other craftsmen for estimates on what they will charge to complete or redo the work so that I will have a functional Kitchen soon, and hopefully before I start chemo. I have pretty much accepted that the Kitchen will not be complete by Thanksgiving. I feel that the contractor has robbed me of an opportunity to make a good memory and a good meal for the people I love. And I'm really upset, because it is always in the back of my mind that this will be my last Thanksgiving, and my last opportunity to do this for the people I care about. (Sorry Connie B.)

I'll be wishing you all well on Saturday, and wishing I could be there with you.

Kitchen smitchen... FAY needs a kitchen! :evil: Fay, I hope things are moving in the right direction there, to get you one soon. Curses on that contractor! May he have the worst Thanksgiving ever. :twisted: (Actually, I hope he has a horrible case of remorsitis and figures out a way to make amends and do the right thing!)

BeckyCW