Air Purifiers

RandyW

Does anyone have any recommendations as to Whether or not these things help or not? I am not sure whether tto invest in one or not. Mainly for bedroom. Medium hair Germen Shephard and carpetted floors. Any advice would be appreciated and recomendations as to which one is best also Thanks.

If you get one make sure it is the ozone guard. Sharper Image just started carrying them (although they are rather expensive) after a report was issued on how bad the original versions were for those of us with asthma and allergies. Here is a link, if you scroll about half way down to the bottom it gives a tremendous amount of information regarding the ozone issue. For what it's worth, my allergist did not recommend getting one and 3 of 4 people in my family suffer from moderate to severe allergies and 2 of us have asthma.

I hope this helps. http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house ... r-reviews/

Much Love,

Amy

I have ran across articles stating that the room air purifiers do not do what they claim to do and that they are a scam. I am not sure as I don't own one. We have 2 media air cleaners as well as a UV germicidal lamp for air quality. The media air cleaners work well and I can always tell when the UV lamp needs changed. I can still smell kitchen odors (garlic, fish etc) in the air the following morning after cooking if the UV lamp needs changed. It must be doing something right if it can take the smell out of the air.

Back in 1991 when my Mother had End Stage Lung Cancer I bought an Ionic Air Cleaner. It was expensive, and my siblings (real Rocket Scientist types) told me that the thing would not work. So I didn't plug it in. My Mom lived in Alabama, and this one night the City had sprayed the community for Mosquitoes. The air was thick with this pesticide, and we could actually "taste" it in the air inside the house with all the windows and door closed and the central air running. So, I set up the air cleaner near to my Mother and plugged it in and waited. My brothers came in to the room later, and they all commented on how the room Mom was in was the only room in the house that did not have that horrible cloying smell and taste of pesticide to it. My Mother did not show signs of breathing difficulty at that point, and she was no longer complaining of either the smell or taste of the Pesticides. So we left it running in her room for the duration. We think it did to something to help clean the air. It really was the only room in the house that did not smell like a toxic waste dump every time the city sprayed for Moquitoes. That was almost 15 years ago, and I'm sure they've improved upon the design since then.

After the 2004 hurricanes here in Florida my insurance company told me they would reimburse me up to two air filtering units, as long as they were certain brands that met certain standards. This was because of the mold issues. I can't for the life of me tell you what brand I have. I know they were $499 per unit and Radio Shack was carrying them at the time. They work wonderfully well. Both my soon-to-be DIL's have big time allergies. I have cats and when my filters are running, the girls don't even sniffle. There's a long metal rod in the center of each unit that I just pull out and wipe off. Personally, I think they definitely work.

I have 2 of the Sharper Image ones, two

because I have dogs. You would not believe

how fast they get dirty. I have one in my

bedroom and I don't know where the dirty

stuff comes from but the filter needs washing

regularly. The air smells very fresh as

long as it's kept clean

Kathy

I found a link similar to one of the reports I had previously read on the American Lung Society website. Just did a search for air cleaner and came up with

this info

http://www.lungusa.org/site/apps/s/cont ... &ct=621541

This also looks helpful

http://www.lungusa.org/site/apps/s/cont ... 6&ct=67133