Sleep Question

kdgmom6

Hi,

I have a question regarding sleeping patterns. My mother has finished radiation w/ lose dose chemo (radiation booster) about 1 week ago. Her Dr. said that the radiation will remain in her for approx. 2 more weeks. My issue is that my mother just wants to sleep and not get out of bed. Her SO is caring for her and he is giving her a really hard time about staying in bed all the time and she is getting very fustrated with him. We spoke with the doctors and they say to encourage her to get up when she feel like it. My question is should we just leave her alone to sleep, how often is everyone else sleeping? Her vitals are awful bp 80's and heart rate 150's.

Thank you in advance.

Julie,

I can only tell you how my husband was after chemo. He did not have radiation. To me it seemed like he was sleeping all the time. I was so frustrated by this. The first couple of days after chemo, he was fine, but by the third or fourth day, he was sleeping almost all day. This lasted about a week or so and then he was back to normal. He was getting chemo every three weeks, so it seemed like the week right before chemo, things were normal. Before that, he was in bed the whole time. Maybe not sleeping the whole time, but just resting and watching tv.

As a caregiver, this was hard for me to deal with because I felt like he needed to be up and moving to keep his strength up so he could get the next treatment. Well, he did fine for his 8 rounds of chemo. He never missed one treatment. After the second treatment, his white cells were down and he didn't have any energy. Then he started getting Neulasta and that really helped him. His oncologist also told him to take B-50 twice a day for energy. This helped him too.

I think that each person is different and each person knows what their body needs. If she feels like she needs to sleep, she probably does. Just make sure she is eating and drinking. Mike's chemo changed his tastes and for two weeks after chemo, he lived on ensure and boost. He never lost any weight during chemo. I am sure this is because of the drinks. He was drinking about 8 a day, because he could not eat.

I hope this will help you some. I will be praying for all of you.

Kim

I had radiation, while still recovering from surgery. I was tired - a lot. I'm also younger than your mother. I took long naps in the afternoon and practically fell into bed after I ate an early dinner. Gradually, I started to spend more waking hours, but it certainly wasn't a light switch from the sleeping to the waking.

I'd say, if the woman is tired (NOT depressed, but tired), let her sleep. If her vitals are bad, keep a chart and let her doctor know, but other than that, she really IS tired and sleep will help.

Take care,

Becky

I couldn't believe how tired I was during radiation and I slept a LOT. I use to joke that the cat and I slept about the same number of hours. The only reason she got to sleep more is she didn't have to get dressed and go in for radiation every day for 5 weeks. :)

My oncologist had warned me that the fatigue would set in about 2 weeks into treatment and probably get worse as the weeks went on. He wasn't kidding. I've never been so tired in my life.

My vitals were not the greatest either. My BP was up because of the steroid and my heart rate was around 100 from being SO out of shape.

My appetite was only good because of the Decadron otherwise the nausea would have kept me from eating and my husband had to remind me to keep my fluid intake up.

My husband was concerned too but the doctor assured us that as time went on the radiation fatigue would improve but that it would likely take as many weeks to recover as it did to get treatment and he was right.

Has your Mom been checked for anemia? I was about a quart low even 1 month after treatment. They didn't transfuse me or give me any blood boosters just waited until my body made up the difference, which it eventually did.

Is your Mom on any other medications? I found that the pain meds I was taking only made things that much worse.

I can relate to how your Mom is feeling and if her doctors are not overly concerned then let her sleep. I know that's what I prefered and when I did feel up to it I would get up and do what I could or just sit with my husband and eat dinner. It would wipe me out sometimes but it did get better.

I know the tendency of loved ones is to think that if we're in bed then things must be bad. My Mother and husband still refer to my time in bed as my being VERY sick when all I really was, was tired. I kind of thought of myself as sick too at the time but looking back I realize that my body needed the down time and I feel MUCH better now.

I pray that your Mom's fatigue will ease up soon and that she will handle the chemo well.

God Bless.

Antoinette

the tachycardia must be wearing her out.

With me, I wish they would have followed more closely. It wasn't until I had a blood transfusion did the tachycardia stop. I think some damage may have been done to my heart. I had a heart attack 9 months later at age 48 female.

I am a sleeper. If I didn't need the sleep, I wouldn't need to sleep. How are her blood levels? Any low levels or anemia anywhere?

Cindi o'h

DEb painted our house inside while on radiation. She had that much energy to burn. Now she gets Aranesp to help boost Red blood Cells For energy every week. All she can do to stay awake sometimes.

I took long naps in the afternoon and practically fell into bed after I ate an early dinner. Gradually, I started to spend more waking hours, but it certainly wasn't a light switch from the sleeping to the waking.

I am glad this thread was started. Becky I am also nearly 3 years out. I still must take long naps. It is not unusual for me to fall in bed around 8 PM especially if I eat about 6PM. I will wake around 8 the next morning. On top of this I will nap for about 1 or 1 1/2 hours for atotal of around 14 hours sleep a day. I am not depressed or anything...just tired. Does anyone else do this after this length of time? Is this too much sleep? Sorry if I should started a new thread.

She finished radiation (only 10 days worth) two weeks ago, and she could sleep all day, too.

I would let her as long as it doesn't disrupt her night sleep and doesn't interfere with her eating and drinking enough. Also, maybe have her take a nice long walk through the house between naps. I noticed that after a week of the sleepies, my mom seemed weak on her feet and her breathing was a little rough, probably from not getting any exercise.

I noticed that after a week of the sleepies, my mom seemed weak on her feet and her breathing was a little rough, probably from not getting any exercise.

No, probably from being microwaved from the inside out... Talk to her doctor about the weakness and problems breathing. I don't think it's atrophy of the muscles, but there may be something her doctor needs to know about so he can treat it.

I am glad this thread was started. Becky I am also nearly 3 years out. I still must take long naps. It is not unusual for me to fall in bed around 8 PM especially if I eat about 6PM. I will wake around 8 the next morning. On top of this I will nap for about 1 or 1 1/2 hours for atotal of around 14 hours sleep a day. I am not depressed or anything...just tired. Does anyone else do this after this length of time? Is this too much sleep? Sorry if I should started a new thread.

Bruce, I'm back to working full time. I could sure use a nap about an hour after getting to my desk. Lunch time pulls another round of yawns from me and again two hours later. I'm tired on the drive home (good thing Cookieman and I carpool most days and I don't HAVE to drive if I'm too darn tired) and have to stay up for dinner.

Weekends are when I would LOVE to catch up on my housework, but I never do. I nap...loads of laundry between cat naps, but I take it real easy on weekends and sleep when I'm tired....and I'm STILL tired! I think my "wake up" gear has been stripped!

I wish that when the possibility of being "normal" disappeared, all memories of the old normal went with the skills! I don't like being able to remember answering all the questions on Jeopardy! now that I'm lucky to get half of 'em! Final Jeopardy? Fuggedabowdit...

Yes, tired, still...thyroid is low, but not THAT low...beats me - whips me right on down!