Can't redo the scan?

Tom K

I had my first meeting with an Oconologist today. He was irritated that the pulmonologist had ordered a PET scan less than 6 weeks post surgery. Evidently, the healing processes can cause a false positive. He felt that was a real possibility because this PET scan was so inconsistent with the pathology report and my performance status. He told me he could not ignore these results and order another PET scan. He goes on to say I am an interesting case because a mediastinoscopy was called for but it was too risky to do only 7 weeks after the thorocotomy. But then, he called the surgeon while I was there, and when he gets off the phone he says the surgeon feels he can do it safely. He explains it will be more complex because of the sutures and scarring from the recent surgery but it can be done. I expressed concern that only a few minutes earlier it was too risky and now he was confident it was safe. He assured me that this particular surgeon would not have committed to the procedure if he wasn’t sure he could do it. I am being admitted to the hospital and the surgeon will decide after the procedure if I will have to stay overnight. The biggest problem is that the location of these lymph nodes along the mediastinum, if they are active then it would change my stage from a 1B to 3A and consequently the treatment plan and prognosis. So I agreed to the surgery on 2/7/06. I am praying my luck holds out and they are benign.

My question for the group; has anybody ever heard that a doctor could not reorder a PET scan? It just seems strange that they would put me through a risky procedure rather than redo a scan.

I imagine that another PET scan could be ordered but your insurance wouldn't pay for it. Depending on the facility my PET/CTs have run anywhere from $3500 - $7800 each. I have them every 4 months and I make good and sure that the insurance has preauthorized them since the first one done wasn't and it took nearly a year to straighten out the paperwork.

I agree wtih myrnalu that you should definitely get the second opinon before proceeding with the surgery.

Good luck to you and know that you are in my prayers.

Antoinette

A mediastinoscopy is a relatively non intrusive and safe procredure. But, I don't get it. Your mediastinum should have been checked out when you had the thoracotomy. So I guess the post surgery PET scan lights up your mediastinum and they have decided to dig a little deeper because of the PET scan? Definitley get another opinion and see a lawyer.

Don M

Your situation sounds very confusing to me. I was staged 3A before my surgery. My surgeon told me that he would first check my mediastinum on the operating table and if he found any cancerous lymph nodes that he would not proceed with the surgery. None were found and he did proceed with the surgery.

Another reason for redoing the PET is that the injection is a radioactive substance...and there is a safe amount that can be given and an unsafe amount. There has to be a period of time in between before the tracer can be safely given again.

Something that also should be remembered is that if your cancer is an indolent form of NSCLC, such as Bronchioloalveolar Carcinoma (aka BAC) then your tumors may or may not show uptake using PET imaging.