Ear feels stopped up can't hear good

lindy

This has been for a month or so but worse now. The doctor looked in his ear last month and saw no wax build-up. But now he can't hear good out of that ear. It all started with ringing in the ear. I wonder if it could be from the whole brain radiation treatment or maybe from the brain cancer. Has anyone else had this problem? I will ask the doctor this week when we go.

Thanks

Information on tinnitus (ringing in the ears):

http://www.ata.org/about_tinnitus/

I also found a site that suggests supplements. If using supplements, the doctor should be aware of what the patient is taking as it can interfere with prescription medications:

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/print/view ... pp,00.html

Hi Lindy,

I'm sorry to hear about Mike's hearing! The problem could be related to the radiation treatments or to an isolated event too. About 12 years ago, I woke up and had tremendous ringing in my ear that lasted for most of the day, and by day's end, I was totally deaf in my ear. In my case, they said it was caused by some virus that attacked the inner nerve. In a lot of cases though, people will get their hearing back and I sure do hope that this is the case for Mike!!

Hi Lindy...I am sorry to hear that Mike's hearing is now causing grief! Has the doctor said anything about it being the mets that might have caused this setback? Depending on the location of the mets, it can indeed have an affect on the hearing. There is a test other than the "what ear can you hear this high pitched ring"...it is called an Auditory Evoked Response test.

It is usually done in Neurology departments where they do EEG's. It is a simple test where they will put a few electrodes on the head and have the patient listen to a series of clicking on one ear and white noise in the other. Then they will swap the sounds to test the other ear. What this does is check the integrity of the auditory nerve. They will look at 5 different waveform times...this can help in determining where the issue lies by comparing the time it takes for the wave to occur vs normal subjects...just a thought if you want a little more of an answer than its the radition.

Good luck at the doc's this week....I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Tina