Loss of Appetite?

tatlyn

Recently my Dad has not had much of an appetite...he's always been a big eater and he's continued to eat well through his treatments until about a week and a bit ago. He's now tending to favor peaches, ice cream, snack type foods despite that I always have hot meals cooked/prepared for him. I was really worried about this change prior to his recent scan results (which were good and showed shrinkage, no new growth) and so now I'm wondering, is this a normal course of events as the chemo drugs build up in the body? Is it normal to lose your appetite to this extent? Dad doesn't have any mouth sores and he says there's no change of taste of the food, he just doesn't feel well enough to eat much. He does have a can of Glucerna every morning (a diabetic nutrition drink) and I continue to make meals available to him. I like to go over to his house early in the day and get something going in the crock pot so that the food is there when and if he wants to eat. I wish there was something more I could do and I'm hoping that this will turn around soon after the end of this 1st line treatment? One more chemo to go on Wednesday.

Lynda

Yep, it is normal for a chemo patient to lose his appetite. First off, the tended nausea and tiredness eep the appetite down, and then the chemo works on the taste buds sometimes and makes things taste different.

What we have found to work is snacks every 2-3 hours rather than three big meals. That way, he will eat some and it also keeps the nausea down. Snacks are good things because he needs to keep the calorie intake up so he doesn't lose a lot of weight while fighting the lc. Don

Yep, my mom doesn't have much of an appetite anymore either as the weeks of chemo continue. She gets a full feeling really fast, whether it's solid foods or liquids she is consuming. The frequent snack approach is working to maintain her weight and health.

Linda

My husband's eating habits changed after his treatments were completed. He used to be a 3 big meal a day eater. Now if he eats 1 meal I am happy and he will eat snacks during the day. He gets the strangest cravings and I am always accusing him of being pregnant :D . Whatever he wants I feed him, no matter how stange the request. :roll: The important part is he is eating something

Thanks everyone. I guess I got concerned because he was eating so well through most of his treatments and then the loss of appetite seemed to come on so quickly. I stocked the fridge this morning with lots of snack foods and also have snacks like chips, whole wheat crackers and granola bars that he can keep by his chair. I was happy to see that he had ate MOST :lol: of the beef stew last night that I had put together in the crock pot for him.

Much Love,

Lynda

I was never a big eater and now I am find that I am forcing myself to eat meals regularly. Thankfully I have a child and he keeps me on schedule and nicely nags me when I don't eat enough. However, I am a big snacker and I tend to forage all during the day and then eat my big meal at dinner time.

You do get cravings quite like being pregnant. My latest craving is Boars Head bologna - I will take seven or so pieces and roll them up without bread. I am also eating crackers with peanut butter with this. For some strange reason, it just tastes so very, very good. One morning for breakfast I had a baked potato with all the fixings because I JUST HAD TO HAVE ONE. Go figure.

I have realized that when my body says I am hungry, I am hungry NOW, not in 15 or 20 minutes or however long it takes to put together some food. Therefore, I have become the Queen of Packaged and Prepared Foods and my microwave has been working overtime. :lol:

Keep the food simple, quick/easy to prepare and in small portions. That might also help!

Good luck!

Pam in FL