Dad has NSCLC stage 4

Guest Stand4Faith

Guest Stand4Faith

I'm 16 years old and my dad has been diagnosed with lung cancer, it has spread to his liver and backbone. We have hope, but most people don't. Some are very blunt and tell him he's probably not going to make it. He's been sick for years yet doctors did nothing. It's too far gone for Chemo or radiation. So it's up to him. He's gone vegetarian, any tips on good diets/foods or bad supplements would be appreciated.

Hi, and welcome,

I'm so sorry about your Dad. Do not listen to nay sayers. As long as there is hope there is everything.

I'm glad your Dad is taking proactive measures with his diet. I'm sorry to say I have nothing in the way of dietary advice, but, I am certain others will be along soon with a wealth of information for you and your Dad.

Try and stay positive. If your Dad beleives he can fight this, chances are good he will win!

My Dad has Lung cancer and we go to great lengths to keep ANY and ALL negativity away from him. That stuff is No good for ANYTHING!

My thoughts and best wishes to you and your Dad,

-Rod

If you Look in the Alternative treatment Forum There are many tips and ideas as well as info on fighting this w/o Conventional methods. There is a lot going on right now in all areas. There is even a clinical trial for alternative methods. I am so sorry we have to meet you and Family Like this but you are at one of the best support groups around for support, Information, Compassion and anything else you need to know about. We are always here if you need anything or just want to vent a little. Sending Prayers for Improvement, strength and tranquility. The best forum again is Alternative Treatments and Keep us posted.

Please, tell your dad he HAS TO get a second opinion! I also agree with RandyW about the Alternative Treatments forum. I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this. We're here if you need us. Keep us posted. I'll be praying for you all.

I'm very sorry to hear about your dad. I'm also a little miffed at that no chemo or radiation statements from the doctor's. Even in late stage they normally offer one or the other or both. And if not, then I would opt for a new doctor.

We've had others here that are late stage and they did chemo and radiation and went on to live long and wonderful years.

I was 16 years old when my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. I'm also very sorry to hear your dad has been sick for so long. Does he have other health issues? Please don't give up on him. Late stage lung cancer can be treated. (maybe not cured, but treated)

Good luck and keep us posted.

My husband lived 27 months with advanced cancer. Most of that time feeling pretty good even though he was getting treatment the whole time. He got to see our oldest daughter graduate from high school. As others have said, I would encourage you to talk to your dad about a second opinion. Take care. Please contact me if I can support you by listening, answering questions, etc.

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis. I too have been diagnosed with stage lV lung cancer that had spread to my liver and spine. I have just completed 6 rounds of chemotherapy and my scan shows all cancer either gone or too small to measure. I don't know why the doctors are telling your dad no chemo or radiation, but I would definitely encourage him to seek a second opinion - lots of people do.

Regarding diet and supplements, I would suggest a nutritionist as there are many diets and supplements out there to be sorted through. I don't know where you are located but there is a place here in PA called the Center for Advancement in Cancer Education that I have heard good things about. They have a website and will do phone consultations: www.beatcancer.org, You could try them if you don't know where to look.

Anyway good luck to you and your family. I will keep you in my prayers.

God Bless,

Sharon

Good for you for caring for your Dad so much.

In My Humble Opinion, on healthy food choices I believe the plant kingdom has a lot to offer everyone. I am an Opportunist Feeder though and eat some meat.

Broccoli is the all time standard as I understand it for it's little part in warding off cancer. Cauliflower is in the same plant group.

Oils: not necessarily for cancer but in general I like using the Essential Fatty Acids like raw nuts and seeds and healing Olive Oil. Watch out for pumpkin seeds and popcorn and pretzels with sharp edges that can scratch inside and make little sores.

Traditional Oriental Medicine: I used to think it was like voodoo but here in California they have people who are State Licensed with many years of training. They named a few foods for me for cancer that included Pearl Barley cooked in soups, Shitake mushrooms (also called black mushrooms though they aren't black or shiitake with 2 i's), and said Pears are good too.

Sugar :-(

I think Cancer loves sugar. Isn't cancer higher with people who struggle with morbid obesity?

When they put that sugar liquid in my vein and did my body scan wow those little cancer cells started glowing with joy. I got a CD with the picture.

Elaine W