questions

ginnie

Hello all,

I know i am probably tempting fate but I feel good, don't feel like i have a terminal illness. It's been almost a year since my dx and other than a little numbness in my fingers i feel normal. One thing that is bothering me is this, i am a planner, i like to prepare for things before they happen. Of course with lc can't really prepare for what's coming because it is different for everyone. What to do??? I guess I just want to make sure that if/when i get sick I have everything handled (bills, money, family)so that no one has to do things for me. I just don't know how long i have until i start to feel sick. How long does it take for lc to start progressing? and where does it progress to? I know it is different for everyone but there has to be an approx. time and path of progression.

Ginnie:

The LC does not have to be the reason to go ahead and do your planning so your mind is at ease and things are taken care of. It's just good sense for anyone to do, no matter who they are -- none of us can prepare for life's unexpected twists and turns. And doing that kind of planning while feeling great is easier than having to deal with it when feeling yucky.

Linda

Hi Gin,

I totally understand you're wanting to plan. I am also a planner, by profession, with stage IV lung cancer.

Unortunately, I don't believe there is any set course of action that LC takes. It seems that everyone is very individual. What I did was, as soon as I could, after my dx, was to set up folders for each of my family members, husband, son and daughter that held all pertinent financial info for each of them. I then went through everything with them. I also taught my husband how to do the bills (he had never done them).

As a planner, I definitely felt much better after doing this. I still find that there are little things that I am constantly telling my husband about.

Also, you should understand exactly what your insurance covers and how it works.

Have you applied to Government Disability?

At the beginning, this was very uncomfortable for my family, to hear me talking about these things, as they felt I'd be here forever. I just told them, nobody is ever here forever and everyone should have a contingency plan.

Hope you continue to feel as well as you do and I hope this helps a little.

Joan

Ginnie, have you heard us talk about NED?? NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE? :wink::D It almost sounds like your cancer is staying STABLE! :D:D Which means you could be a for a very long time!! :wink:

HOWEVER, I know what it's like trying to plan for our deaths. :roll::( I did it for 2+ years after I was dx.d and here I am 11 years later.

The question your asking is only in ONE person hands, and I don't think any of us can honestly give you an honest answer.

If you feel great then go and ENJOY! Go ahead and put your afairs in order and when you get done with doing that, go and enjoy each day to the fullest.

I remember a long time ago one of my LC Support Group members was dx.d with Small Cell. His doctor's told him he had a year to live. He traveled around the world TWICE,(in two years time) and two years after his doctor's told him that, he didn't know what else to do. :shock: He ran out of money from all his travels, didn't have a job anymore, etc., etc.,. My suggestion to him was, Get back in the saddle of life, and go and live it one day at a time and enjoy! :wink: (By the way, he was cancer free). Last I heard he was doing well and enjoying life.

So as you can see, we just NEVER KNOW!

Go enjoy life. You may have to learn how to do it one day at a time, but that's all we have anyway! :wink:

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a GIFT!

i have taken care of the big things, paid the car off, set up my arrangements and paid for them. I have tried to apply for my disability but they say i make too much money (what a joke!). i am still working but i know there will come a time when I won't be able to and my husband cannot support us on his pay alone. That is the one thing that has me frustrated, I'm afraid to feel sick - i can't afford to! so on days when i don't feel so good I still go to work. I worked all through my treatments and I know that I can't do that again but financially i don't have much of a choice.

I would find out how much Disability will pay if you couldn't work and see what your shortage would be. I'd sit down and go over all expenses to see where you could cut back to make it work. Any money you have could also be used (without risk to principal) to throw off income.

Joan

Ginnie if your a stage IV then why aren't you on Social Security Disablilty? You qualify! I would look into it if I were you. They will go back to your dx.s date and you will get all that back pay.

If you got the big stuff taken care of then don't fret the small stuff. :wink: You could be here for a very long time!!!! :wink::wink::wink:

i tried to get my disability but they told me i made too much money working. I went part time and I still made too much, so i went back full time. I have to work to keep my medical insurance and if I don't work the rent doesn't get paid. My husband makes less than me so he can't cover the rent and the rest of the expenses. what i make working full time covers the bills. If I were to get my disability then we could make it with no problem.

HI Ginnie,

Like you I feel good and don't feel like I have a terminal illness. Doctor says he cannot predict - I could be find for a "long time" or I could start feeling badly. He just doesn't know.

So I am assuming I have a great deal of time and just to be safe, I planned for what if - living will, will, power of attorney, etc.

As far as disability, I thought there was a waiting period. And after you're on disability, I think you qualify for medicare or medical - whichever. But that doesn't take care of your family. I would say an important plan would be to have your husband find a job with coverage for medical. For when you need to stop working.

For me, I'm feeling good and my job is at home, generally, my schedule - part time. I have no real reason to quit now. My disability payout would be a lot less.

Good luck. I hope we can write to eahc other 5 yoears hence!

Mary