Cancer Coping Tips- What are yours?

LCSC ADMIN

Here are some cancer coping tips.

What are yours?

What helps you, the patient, get thru a bumpy time, get thru treatments, waiting for scan results, or just when you are feeling scared and uncertain- what helps you cope having been diagnosed with Lung Cancer?

Survivors post your suggestions and tips here!

Coping with a cancer diagnosis: Action plan

Get the facts about your cancer diagnosis

Try to obtain as much basic, useful information as possible about your cancer diagnosis. Consider bringing a family member or friend with you to your first few doctor appointments. Write down your questions and concerns beforehand and bring them with you.

Keep the lines of communication open

Maintain honest, two-way communication with your loved ones, doctors and others after your cancer diagnosis. You may feel particularly isolated if people try to protect you from bad news or if you try to put up a strong front. If you and others feel free to express your emotions honestly, you can all gain strength from each other.

Anticipate possible physical changes

Plan ahead. Your doctor can tell you what changes you should anticipate. Insurance coverage often helps pay for wigs, prostheses and other adaptive devices. If drugs cause hair loss, advice from image experts about clothing, makeup, wigs and hairpieces may help you feel more comfortable and attractive. Members of cancer support groups may be particularly helpful in this area and can provide tips that have helped them and others. Now — after your cancer diagnosis and before you begin treatment — is the best time to plan for any changes. Prepare yourself now so that you'll be better able to cope later.

Maintain a healthy lifestyle

This can improve your energy level. Eating a healthy diet based on a variety of foods and getting adequate rest may help you combat the stress and fatigue of the cancer and its treatment. Exercise and participating in enjoyable activities also may help. Recent data suggest that people who maintain some physical exercise during treatment not only respond better, but may also live longer.

Let friends and family help you

Often friends and family can run errands, drive the car pool, prepare meals and help you with household chores. Learn to accept their help. Accepting help gives those who care about you a sense of making a contribution at a difficult time. Also encourage your family to accept help if it's needed. A cancer diagnosis affects the entire family and adds stress, especially to the primary caregivers. Accepting help with meals or chores from neighbors or friends can go a long way in preventing caregiver burnout.

Review your goals and priorities

Determine what's really important in your life. Avoid or reduce undesirable activities. If needed, try to find a new openness with loved ones. Share your thoughts and feelings with them. Cancer affects all of your relationships. Communication can help reduce the anxiety and fear that cancer can cause.

Try to maintain your normal lifestyle

Maintain your normal lifestyle, but be open to modifying it as necessary. Take each day one at a time. It's easy to overlook this simple strategy during stressful times. When the future is uncertain, organizing and planning may suddenly seem overwhelming.

Fight stigmas

Some old stigmas associated with cancer still exist. Your friends may wonder if your cancer is contagious. Co-workers may doubt you're healthy enough to do your job, and some may withdraw for fear of saying the wrong thing. Many people will have questions and concerns. Determine how you'll deal with others' behaviors toward you. By and large, others will take their cues from you. Remind friends that even if cancer has been a frightening part of your life, it shouldn't make them afraid to be around you.

Just as each person's cancer treatment is individualized, so is the coping strategy you use. Ideas to try:

* Practice relaxation techniques.

* Share your feelings honestly with family, friends, a spiritual adviser or a counselor.

* Keep a journal to help organize your thoughts.

* When faced with a difficult decision, list the pros and cons for each choice.

* Find a source of spiritual support.

* Set aside time to be alone.

* Remain involved with work and leisure activities as much as you can.

What comforted you through the rough times before cancer is likely to help ease your worries now, whether that's a close friend, religious leader or a favorite activity to distract you. Turn to these comforts now, but also be open to trying new coping strategies.

The tips shown by LCSC Admin pretty much covers it for me. I guess I will just emphasize what helped me.

1. I became enaged in learning about my disease and the treatment of my disease.

2. I exercised right through my treatment, walking a mile a day or doing gardening.

3. I have continued doing the things I like to do with some restrictions. I can no longer hike on steep terrain, but I am content to and can walk on gentle trails in the woods.

4. I have always and still believe that I will eventually beat this disease. The medical treatment is only part of the cure. You have to have hope.

5. I sort of keep my cancer at arm's length. I don't identify with being a cancer victim. I guess that goes along with referring to ourselves as survivors.

Don M

• 2 weeks later...

Don - your comment on not being a cancer victim is just what I do. I don't think about it unless I'm having a physical problem or go to the doctor for a check up, and then they remind me I have cancer.

I try to do things I enjoy also. Been working outside a lot , when the weather allows. My asthma doesn't let me stay outside long on hot, humid days with bad air quality. But I managed to get outside every day this summer and do some work.

My oncologist's office had a brochure about using imagery and I use that technique when taking my meds (tarceva).

I'm now planning things in advance, which I at first hesitated to do. I feel better not thinking about what may happen or when.

Just a few things that got me through and still keep me going.

1. Ignore statistics they don' apply to me.

2. Exercise, I think exercise keeps you from getting tired.

3. Believing, Believed that I would be cured

4. Having fun at chemo. :lol::lol: This is probably is one of the best. I took a DVD player with some funny flicks, packed a good lunch. I would sit and have a picnic while I enjoyed a couple of movies. It really was enjoyable.

There is more but that will do for now.

Ernie

Over the years, I've noticed that I begin to "act out" at work and home as test time approaches.

But two of my favorite ways to cope are:

Holding my big fat fluffy cat Nieman tight against my chest so that I can feel him purring all the way through my lungs. He seems to enjoy it too.

Letting the ladies at bible study pray over me. They stand around me and rub my scar and shoulders, while praying and crying out for God's mercy. We end with hugs, crying and laughing at same time. It is an incredible experience. :)8):)

Barb