Vocal Cords

Anniemac

Sorry I didn't get back to post sooner about the vocal cord surgery. It's called Vocom surgery. During his lung surgery,they had to remove one of the nerves to Tim's left vocal cord and it paralyzed one cord. The other cord still worked, but his voice was weak and breathy. He would run out of air a couple of times during each sentence, so it made him feel breathless.

There are two cords and they make an open V shape. When you speak, they come together and touch each other and vibrate. (This is hard to explain without using hands :? ) His right cord would come over, but the left cord was not moving over to meet it and the air would just rush out, giving him the breathy voice. During the surgery, they shimmed the left cord over to the center so it's always there. Now the right cord has something to meet when he talks. Am I making this clear? Picture a pair of scissors opening and one side can't close.

He was awake for the surgery, so he could speak and the doctor would know if he had the right size shim.

I don't know if it would work for someone who had no voice at all. I would sure make an appointment with an Otolaryngology doctor and see if there is anything they can do.

I don't think Tim feels so much like a sick person now that he has a strong voice again. He seems to stand up straighter and square his shoulders. He had been walk a bit hunched after his lung surgery, now that's gone. No one could tell by looking at him or talking to him that there is anything wrong with him at all.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try to get back to you right away. Good Luck.

Annie

Annie,

Earl had a paralyzed vocal cord from his tracheostomy. We also had to meet with an oto'rhino'laryncologist two times. There was one that specialized in paralyzed vocal cords. Fortunately it has basically recovered although when he is tired his voice gets weak.

Glad it went well for Tim.

Thank you so much for the info. We had heard something before about a teflon coating but I am not really sure what they meant by that. Your description was perfect and I can now tell my dad a little more.

I am glad to hear about Tims success with it and how he feels now. I know that for dad it really upsets him so I hope he will have that same success.

Thanks again