Throat Pain - Won't go away

MO_Sugar

I know several of you have had the same type of thing but what can you do for the pain in the esophogus caused by the radiation? I have been a month now since my last radiation treatment and still can not eat solid foods (or much of anything). I do have an appountent on Monday for an endoscopy to see if they can see a blockage or anything but any ideas in the mean time? I have been given pain pills (morphine didn't touch it" and then told to take 2 of them (which put me to sleep). About all I can eat is room temp Jello and lukewarm soup. I have lost 50 pounds in the past 3 months (which I needed to lose anyway) but now my DR. is getting on me to not lose any more weight!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mo,

Get Ensure Plus, packed full of vitamins etc and is 360 calories. Try it cold or at room temp. I used to put vanilla ensure and chocolate ice cream in a blender for Earl. He thought it was great.

There are medicines you can take before eating to numb the esophagus. I think they only work for a few minutes so you have to eat quickly, but you don't want to lose any more weight. You have to maintain your strength to get treatments.

Mo, I know what you are going through. My Buddy went through the same thing. He lost 60 lbs between the operation and the radiation. He had three different sets of treatments of radiation and all three took him down the road.

he had the test you are going for twice, took med to freeze his throat while he tried to eat, didn't work, took pain meds and got to short of breath so they didn't work. Finally it went away. It actually went away each time after the last treatment of radiation but it took a good 3 ot 5 wks the first time then after the next set of radiation treatments he got it back and again it went away after 3 to 5 wks then after the final set of radiation treatments it went away after 3 wks. Thank God. HOpefully yours will go away on its on very soon...

Thank you all for the advice. The endoscopy showed 2 ulcers on my esophogus which is what is causing the pain. My Dr. gave me Carafate and Prilosec to try and it does seem to be helping a little. Hopefully a couple of weeks more of this and it will be gone. All in all, if this is the worst that comes of my treatment I consider myself VERY lucky!!

Got final results back from endoscopy on Wednesday and it showed I had developed "shingles" in my throat! New medication and after 3 days I can tell the difference already!! I actually "ate" dinner last night for the first time in over 2 months! This has been a GREAT week! Thank you Jesus!