Did anyone feel bloated?

patscan

My mom is having a hard time eating (and today we discovered she lost 3lbs in a week). Did anyone experience a "sensation of fullness" during Chemo? She feels bloated and "can't imagine putting anymore food in." All she had today was a milkshake and 1/2 big Mac. Today's chemo was only Gemzar, which doesn't typically cause nausea. She is just having a lot of GI discomfort (from diarrhea to constipation). Could this be how she is experiencing "nausea"? I told her to try some Pepcid and a Compazine. Any advice?

I haven't been hungry since this ride started, but eat at least 3 times a day because I should. I tell my mom, "Don't wait for me to ask for food, just feed me." Don't want to lose any weight. Having problems swallowing now from the radiation, but just changing what I eat. Lots of cream soups and smoothies. Creamed spinich. Should help my red blood cells, eh? Please be careful of self treatment. Make sure the doctor approves. Hugs and prayers, Liz

Well I was always hungry during chemo, especially during and right after the treatments. Does your Mom have a favorite comfort food?

That chemo does clog up the insides...Metamucil everyday worked best for me, but then I was hungry enough to drink it. :)

I hope your Mom feels better soon. Barb

I get horribly bloated for the first few days after chemo. It's a really nasty feeling but it typically goes away after a few days. I make myself eat even though it's uncomfortable, I am just so terrified of losing weight.

My suggestion is to have your mom find a comfort food, mine's pasta, and try that. You still feel bloated, but like most comfort foods, you keep eating when you're full just because it tastes good!

Good luck.

Tracy

I have not posted in quite awhile.My mom's 4th line chemo was Gemzar and Taxotere which she stopped 2 weeks ago . Her CT shows increasing liver mets but the liver is not yet enlarged and there is no ascites (fluid), yet she too was feeling bloated and would not eat and lost 14 lbs. The doctor decided it was from the chemo slowing down the digestive tract so he started her on Reglan to get it working better. It has helped and while she does eat breakfast and drinks ensure for lunch by dinner she doesn't want to eat but no longer feels bloated. If you discuss her not eating with the doctor make sure you mention the bloated feeling, Hope this helps. JanMarie

My 2 cents are that gastric imbalances can occur just about anytime, before,during,and after chemo. Lisa is only on Tarceva and has been experiencing gastric pain, bloating, fullness, constipation, nausea, vomiting, weight loss (5lbs in 3 days),no appetite, and symptoms of ulcers.

If you have been in involved in caretaking and paid attention to your MD visits you learn to self treat. The MD can't be there for you all the time. We had some Nexium 40mg left over so I started her on that. Lisa was able to keep down liquids and soft foods. Usually we keep away from the bad fats and sugars but to turn arround the weight loss I shopped today for the richest creamy vanilla ice cream, creamy yogurt, cottage cheeze, pine nuts (they almost melt in your mouth and have a lot of fat), avocados, and gatoraid (for dehydration and electrolytes) and she kept it all down in many small servings and now has no symptoms of bloating, gas, nausea, and gain 1lb.

A call to the Oncologist this morning came back with these words from him: "Ummm, you know those are all great ideas".

Sorry to hear your Mom is having digestive issues. Tony went through twelve 21-day cycles of the Taxotere/Gemzar combo just like your Mom's schedule and did have appetite issues. He says his bloating came and went with no rhyme or reason. There were days where he couldn't eat as much due to that problem. He tried to make up for it on days where he could eat more, even though the food tasted like cardboard. Some of his favorite foods no longer tasted good to him. He did Pepcid, with the Oncs. permission, when necessary. His bigger issue was ending up feeling like "the walking dead" (as he calls it) late into the regimen. He has far more intestinal issues on Tarceva than he did on the other chemo regimens.

All these drugs effect everyone differently and it stinks all the way around! :?

My best to you and your Mom,

Welthy