SCLC Symptoms

soldoutnradical

Hello,

My husband had significant weight loss and a cough that wouldn't go away. We didn't realize the weight loss was from cancer eating away at his body. We had been out West (we live in Orlando) all winter last year and were skiing. We just thought the exercise was doing it. He did not feel bad, just a nagging cough. When we got home in March he had a routine xray and wham, SCLC. He has since had 6 rounds of Carboplatin/Etoposide and 35 rads to his chest. He is finishing his whole brain radiation tomorrow. The last PET was "No active disease." He's doing good. He was a smoker for 40 years so we weren't too surprised when the SCLC was diagnosed. Well Kevin, that's our story.

Hi Kevin, I have had nsclc and 2 bouts of sclc and I have yet to have any symptoms at all. No cough, feeling good, plenty of energy. Of course, that kinda changed after surgery and chemo, but everything is looking good right now. Are you having some symptoms of something?

Nancy B

I don't know if this is common, I guess it depends on the individual and tumor location, but my Dad did have symptoms in early stage. My Dad has never been one to visit a doctor but the shoulder pain and shortness of breath was serious enough for him to seek medical attention.

Kevin my wife had no symtom's other than a dry cough at nite's. My Wife's was discovered when she entered the Hospital for a minor surgery and her potassium level was too low so they started testing her and on the bottom of the list for possible causes was Lung Cancer.And she was a former smoker that had started when she was 12 year's old......

No symptoms here either, mine was found when I developed pneumonia out of the blue. The tumor had caused a blockage that started the pneumonia.

I felt fine on Wednesday afternoon and was told that it looked like cancer on Thursday morning!

I had to read Katie's post to find out what all the symptoms could be. Go figure.

Geri

Thanks for the replies.

Unknowingly, I had worked with a nasty chemical called bischloromethyl ether. (some heavy exposure over a few week a year ago). This chemical is known to be a cause of small cell lung cancer. The good news is that I am a nonsmoker. I have been having some shoulder blade pains, sporatic chest aches and an odd run down feeling. These may be totally unrelated so I do not want to over react. :?

When I started to look into causes and symptoms of lung cancer I am amazed at the lack of awarness funding to combat this desease. :x

I am going in for a regular physical in a month or so. Is there anything that I sould do to be proactive? :idea:

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello Kevin!

First of all, I would give some thought to trying to move that appointment up. Then make sure you have all your symptoms written down along with that substance you were exposed to. Do NOT allow the doctor to give you the brush off. I would really NOT be telling you to perhaps have a bit of a cough to present with as well, so when you ask for a spiral CT there will be sufficient cause for it to be done.

I am certainly hopeful that none of what you describe is LC related.....just general malaise. But it is best to be well prepared. I also would either take someone with me to listen with you or use a tape recorder so there will be no misunderstanding as to what was discussed. If scans are recommended ~ ask for your very own copies of the scan and the written report. And also keep track of EVERYTHING in a notebook of some sort.

Wow.......seems I overloaded you, but I always say it is MUCH better to be safe than sorry. I am wishing nothing but the very best for you, however. Do let us know whenever you know.

Kasey

Hi Kevin,

I just want to encourage you not to let your doc brush off your symptoms. It took three visits for our primary care physician to give Bill a lung x-ray, even though she knew he was a long-term smoker. When we told the radio-onc this, he was amazed.

Insist on a chest x-ray. I'm no expert, and it may be that a CT scan is needed for early detection. But insist on not waiting.

Hoping for the best for you.

Teri

Wow...this is a hard one to answer. From what I understand SCLC grows so fast that it generally presents like pneumonia or something like this. My dad's major signs were his swelling in his head because he had Superior Vena Cava Syndrome which essentially means the tumor was cutting off the blood supply from the heart to the brain.

Tell us more about what you know and maybe we can help you!

God bless,

Jen