Hope someone can help me

tbrown

Hi,

My dad has just been diagnosed with lung cancer. He is 63 yrs old. He unfortunantly has no insurance and we cant get his testing done to see if he is a surgery candidate. Does anyone have any information that might help me. I live in the state of Tennessee and have gotten no help at all. He is also a veteran and was turned down for Veterans benefits. I am scared and frustrated about this. If anyone has any suggested they will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Trish

Hi - sorry to hear about your father. Given he is a veteran and has been turned down - I would write your congressman / senator, call for that matter. Track your activities and their response - or lack thereof - if you can't get help that way, I would contact local newspapers and TV stations. I think you may be very suprised how this can work out - keep us posted.

Trish,

There is a new program starting up soon in Tennessee. Here is a link to the information on the state of TN website:

http://www.covertn.gov/summary.pdf

Look at the information on AccessTN. Seems like he may qualify for that program. Please let me know if you need additional information or have questions. I can do some more looking around. Blessings!

My husband also has no insurance and what I have learned (from other peoples experiences) is that everyone pretty much gets turned down for everything the first time. If your father has worked in his lifetime and paid into SS then he should be eligible for SSI or diability, based upon his diagnosis. SSI has income guidelines so one is not allowed to make over a certain amount and I believe disability requires you are going to be disabled for at least 1 year + 1 day. Where was your father diagnosed, at the hospital? They will have records of the diagnosis, or whoever diagnosed him will. You can talk to a social worker at the state or hospital and tell them that you NEED help and some direction so that your father can get the care he needs in order to treat his cancer. Anyone with any sense should be compassionate enough to help you. I do not have a lot of time right this minute, but if you can not get some assistance to get you on the right track to getting the needed care, please pm me and I will do whatever I can to help you.

Good Luck!