Tarceva in UK

dtay

Hi everyone - as I have mentioned in other posts my Dad has just been diagnosed with Squamous cell lung cancer T2N2Mx - he has just had his first visit to the Oncologist here in UK and they are starting him on Gemcitabine/Carbo chemo 21 day cycles 4 doses. The tumour is 4 and half centimetres so they will only do radiotherapy if the chemo shrinks it. (Liver and bones clear)

I have been researching and reading some of the posts on this fantastic site about the benefits of Tarceva and wondered if it would help my Dad.

In UK Tarceva is not available through our National Health Service but the questions I would like to ask anyone who can help me are - if I buy it privately can it be taken at the same time as the chemo and how would I know what the dosage would be ?

If anyone can give me some advice or help I would be really grateful - I will do anything I can to help my Dad.

Thanks

Dawn

Dawn,

I was checking Tarceva plus chemotherapy on the web for my father and have found some research showing lack of advantage. I am sorry I do not have a link at the moment.

On the other hand there is evidence that avastin pluc tarceva could work well together as well as some evidence for radiosensitization using tarceva

during radiation.

wiesia

Dawn,

You would want to check with your dad's ocn before giving him the Tarceva. I had Tarceva 100mg along with my chemo of Carboplatin and Taxol. I have been cancer free since November 2005 and I still take the Tarceva. I would go to the Tarceva web site to get info on how to get Tarceva in the UK. They have a contact for this. I took one tablet a day and a 30 day supply goes for between $2400 to $2700. It can be purchased from Canada a little cheaper. I think you need an prescription to get it. What does his doctors say about Tarceva? Keep us posted.

Stay positive, :lol:

Ernie

Hi Ernie (truly amazing man !)

Dad's Doctors always ignore the 'Tarceva' issue - it just doesnt figure yet in UK.

I am also concerned that the chemo doesnt seem very aggressive - I want to fight fire with fire Ernie !! - but I suppose they know best what suits each individual.

I am not giving up on the Tarceva issue tho and I will raise it again at the next meeting with his Onc. Sometimes I feel as though I ask them to many questions and that I should just sit in the corner with my mouth shut !!

Dawn

I think the information to date has been that combination is not the most effective use for Tarceva. I also think your doctor should be made aware of the use of Tarceva. Tell him that is your preferred traetment and you will cover the cost. I assume there are many doctors who would support this.

One other recommendation might be to contact the pharmacuetical company and see what/if they can be of assistance. If not on the approved list as of now, I'm sure they are looking at ways to have it included.

By theway, I just started on Tarceva 3 weeks ago. Cannot say if it will be effective for me as yet, But I feel fine and mu side effects are not enough to even comment on.

Best of luck.

Mary

Never sit in the corner and be quiet. Make noise. it is your fathers life here. Your father has one doctor. Your doctor has many patients not just one.

If you do not like the doctor, I would think about a second opinion. See above comment about one father.

tarceva In United Kingdom These are links. Click to be redirected to site

1)http://www.oxfordshirebioscience.com/obn_/menu.php?p=news_.tem&r=Z6EQR8IVAI4736

2) http://www.osip.com/OSI/products.asp?id=171

THIS IS IMPORTANT TO READ AND KNOW ABOUT!!!

3)http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6120138.stm

Hope something here helps out!! Sending Prayers

My experience on the gem/carbo was good. Very little side effects and I had it for 11 cycles. It was harder on my blood counts than anything else - which make me more vulnerable to germs, etc - but you don't feel low white counts.

I was taken off do to the white counts.

Mary