Message to Lynn---Dad SCLC 1983

flabet

Lynn, in your profile you mentioned your dad was diagnosed with SCLC w/mets to liver in 1983 and passed away this year. Am I reading that correctly? If that's true, it is wonderful news to me as my husband received the same news in June of this year. I am truly saddened by your dad's pasing this year, but what a wonderful gift to have had him for 20 years after such a tragic diagnosis. Please let me know more.

flabet

Dear Flabet,

Yes, it is absolutely true! My Dad had 20 years free from cancer before getting it again. I recently read his medical records from 1983 and his tumor was quite large and showed "significant growth" in just 3 weeks!

He had 6 months of chemo with quite an impressive array of drugs.On several occasions his wbc count was barely over 1. He had decided early on that he would fight with everything he had. In fact he once confided in me that although nights were his worst emotional times he REFUSED to allow negative thoughts in. He always was very spiritual and VERY STUBBORN!

He used to visit with other lung cancer patients on his lunch hour to try to lift their spirits and show them that it can be done! I hope this helps please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance at all.Best wishes...I know how painful this is ...I have been there 3 times :cry: but I suppose it would have been worse to only have been there twice :shock:

Warmest regards,

Lynn

Thank you so much Lynn. You have really lifted my spirits. Doug is feeling pretty good right now. Has been on strong antibiotics for a staph infection and they seem to be working and his Procrit has been increased by 50% and he seems to be feeling stronger. He said this past week-end that now he is beginning to believe he can beat this. His Dr. is very positive and I don't allow negative thoughts in our house. Only time will tell, but we are going to continue to fight as long as we can and your inspirational story helps so much. If God is willing, I'll have my best friend and love of my life for a very long time. Your support means so much. I will print this story out for Doug for inspiration.

Thanks again,

Flabet

Dear Flabet,

I am so glad that your husband Doug is feeling stronger. I think not being in discomfort contributes to ones will to fight in a positive way.

I also wanted to let you know that my Dad's close childhood friend (so close I refer to him as my uncle) has a sister with extensive sclc and she is at the 6 year mark!

You and Doug will be remembered in my prayers...please let me know how things are going and contact me if I can help in anyway.

Regards,

Lynn