Chemo

dtay

Can anyone tell me if the side-effects of chemo get worse the more treatments you have (like a build up in the system)? Or does your body rid itself of the toxins before the next dose ? Can your system get used to the chemo ? Sorry to ask so many questions !!!

Thanks for help and support

Dawn

Hi,

Much of the chemo is gone (drink lots of fluids), but some people do find subsequent chemo's more difficult. My experience was that all my infusions had me feeling pretty much the same, although over 11 cycles, once I vomited. What did seem to build up was my blood's response. By the end of the cycles, it was a guarantee that I would be unable to do week 2 due to low white counts and then week three seemed to have low platelets.

Since my first chem, I haven't had difficulty with any other chemo's. Hope it gets easier for your dad.

Mary

My husband has had 7 of 8 planned treatments of Cisplatin and Gemzar. His blood counts (RBC's, WBC's) have definitely have become more compromised as the treatments progressed. His overall symptoms have also increased over time, partly because of the changes to blood counts, and partly as direct side effects of the drugs. Fatigue, achiness, and shortness of breath have all increased dramatically over the last few treatments. He drinks a large amount of fluid each day, sleeps whenever possible, and looks forward to the final treatment!

I am in the home stretch here. Treatment #7 and the last one for a while. For me, it got way worse as the treatments wore on. After the first few, I was traveling, hiking, eating(!), you name it. Now, I am 4 days into my last cycle and I feel like Jeff Goldblum's characcter in _The Fly_. I can't sleep, can't really eat. It sucks.

Sorry to be such a downer, but everybody has a different reaction.

aaron

Thanks so much to all of you for your responses -- my Dad is not bad at all 3 days after his first treatment however he is having terrible hiccups !!! They are keeping him awake all night but I think his nurse or Doc has given some pills to relieve them now !

I wasnt aware that hiccups were a side-effect of chemo ---has anyone ever experienced this before ?

Bless you all

Dawn x

Dawn,

Mu husband actually had hiccups as his very first chemo side effect - they began hours withing his first treatment, and persisted for maybe 24 hours after that treatment. Since then, hiccups have been only an occasional bother after chemo treatments.

If I recall correctly, the symptom is caused by the chemo drugs irritating the diaghram...and the treatment, if needed, was listed as Thorazine. Thorazine is a major drug with it's own side effects, so I hope that the hiccups subside quickly and don't need to be treated.

The following link has a few paragraphs addressing tis issue: www.cancer.org/docroot/MBC/content/MBC_ ... tearea=MBC

Good luck!

Dawn,

DON'T APOLOGIZE! We were all new at this at some point or another! You have come to a great place. I don't know really how to answer your questions, but I can tell you that with my dad it did get worse...not much worse, but still worse. I can also say that he was able to know when it would get bad and fend it off with meds a bit better later on though too. He found that having something in his stomach at all times worked the best to keep away the pukies.

Best of luck.

Jen