deleting all posts

kimblanchard

hmmmm lied, doubt it. my dad the week before he died had a seizure spawning the looksey at his brain and confiming it was there now too. BUT i doubt if my dad did not have the seizure they would have looked necessarily. I know that is not a help i do not know. it is possible it was there and they did not know. or it is possible it wasn't and becasue it was elsewhere it was too much on other organs. I lurk on this board myself chirstina, i find it a great help.

Hi Christina,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've just recently had that kind of painful experience myself so, I know exactly where you are coming from with all the questions you ask yourself. I don't know if this will help ease your mind but my Dad was not diagnosed with mets to the brain until six days before he passed away. The doctor told us that the prednesone he was taking to help him breathe was also keeping the swelling down around the affected areas in his brain....therefore, no real signs or symptoms. In our experience I know that any scans or tests were not done unless my Dad directly indicated an area in which he thought he was having a problem.

May you find some peace in your search for answers.

Kris

Christina,

Ask for his medical records. If they did a brain scan/s the results will be in the records. Call the onc office and they will prepare them for you to pick up. They are not hard to understand, at least I didn't think so, Buddy's onc evidently did though.

So great to see you back with us. Glad you're feeling somewhat better. You know, it's so strange you posted this today. Just yesterday, I was thinking of requesting Dennis's medical records. I just wanted to see how really bad the situation was. I guess in a way, knowing will help me deal with my loss. I, too, believe Dennis had brain mets. Both lungs, liver and spine were affected. The last scan on the brain showed nothing, according to our onc. We had an extremely caring onc and staff at MD Anderson and I know they wanted to spare us as much pain as possible. Dennis never asked how long he had. I told the doctor not to tell him, unless he wanted to know. But...back to your post....I, too, would like to know just what we were dealing with from the beginning. Chin-Up Christina!!! Together we WILL make it through this bitter journey!!!!

Christina,

I agree too. My dads brain met was found by accident just about two weeks before he died. I get the very strong impression that because the stage of disease was considered "terminal" they (meaning doctors in general) don't "seek" out tumors in the body and are not normally proactive or preventative (if that is even possible). THEIR mindset may be ...hey, they're dying so what does it matter if they get a met here or there.... (not all doctors do this, so don't get offended anyone)

It appeared to me from reading here and personal experience that doctors only "checked" when there was pain or a rise of concern---

That said-

It is very possible that your loved one never experienced symptoms of brain metastasis so the assumption was that he did not have any. OR the other cancer related problems were severe enough and attributed to his death before brain metastasis could develop.

I think there was a member here whose father was a 20 year (I'm guessing it must have been limited stage or mid-stage disease) sclc survivor before any metastasis occured. TWENTY YEARS.

There's no real answers here. Get his medical records, ask the questions that you feel you need answers to....but don't beat yourself up, or second guess yourself or your last months together...that will eat you up.