Recurrence

Alisa

Alisa, I don't know your answer either but I do know that two years is great and now you are on the road to 3 then 4 and so on....I pray you can get this out of your mind and on with your life. What will be will be and there is nothing any of us can do about tomorrow....whether we have cancer or not.

Don't know about the statistics, but I believe a onc told my mom the first year is most crucial, then as the years pass there is less and less chance of a recurrence.

So at 2 years you are less likely than 1 year to get a recurrence.

3 years less likely than 2,

etc

I had recurrence and mets to my lymphatic system at 1 year 6 months. I was restaged from Stage I to Stage IV. This occurred in April this year. I started chemo on May 5th and finished Sept 2nd. I am now stable, showing shrinkage with no new growths.

It is hard to determine when and if recurrence will occur. (I emphasize the "IF".) Look at Estrea, she just celebrated her 5th anniversary of Lung Cancer and is NED. I pray to remain stable and hope that I also make it 5 years plus. I just celebrated my 2nd anniversary of lung cancer in September. Of course, I wish it was NED, but I will accept stable for now.

I wish anybody all the luck and pray that they will remain NED for as long as possible. As each year goes by with NED, the chances of long term survival increase drastically.

Thank you all for your encouragement. I guess I'm obsessing a little now cause I found out I was Stage IIIa, when all along I thought I was Stage 2b. Not much of a difference, but threw me a little anyway.

Dave, I'm so glad to hear you have stable disease and not growing. I remember you from the ACOR lists. In fact, it was you who clued me in on this list. Thanks.

Take care.

Hi Cheryl. I was 3a because one nodule started to invade the chest wall. I originally had a 7cm tumor in the middle lobe of my right lung. Two nodules escaped from the primary, but both within the same lobe. so, when my thoracic surgeon removed the middle lobe, the primary plus 2 nodules were removed and i was considered clean. No cancer showed up after the surgery on any scans. That's why I thought I was 2b, but I never actually asked my stage since I just assumed, from my own research online, that I was 2b. . I found out in a casual conversation with my onc 2 weeks ago that I was IIIa, cause of the chest wall involvement.

I had adjuvant chemo after the surgery, to help prevent recurrence, in case there were tiny micro-mestasteses.

Anyway, supposedly I'm still cancer-free, but I'm not sure. My latest PET/CT scan showed a 5mm node, but I was told it was scar tissue from my surgery. After reading mistakes that happened to others, I'm concerned it may be a false negative. I have no choice but to wait for my next scan, which is in 4 more months.

Feel free to ask any specific questions.

Take care,

Alisa