Update on My Mom

Andrea B.

First I want to thank everyone who had responded to my earlier post about questions regarding radiation pneumonitis. My mom has been battling shortness of breath for about 6 weeks now. Her oncologist kept blowing her off, so I insisted she go see her radiation oncologist. He was great and told her to go see her pulmonologist...so off to another doctor. This doctor finally gave her some answers. There is some scarring caused by the radiation and the chemo is also effecting the shortness of breath. He told her that before any of her treatments began that her lung capacity was not the greatest, so the treatments have kind of "tipped the scale". He prescribed her some prednisone and we will see if that helps. This further deepens my belief that don't take one doctor's word if you aren't satisfied. If we had settled for being blown off by the oncologist, she wouldn't have received any answers.

My mom is in her second week of Gemzar/Taxotere treatments and will receive a PET scan in about 4 weeks to see if it is being successful. I pray that it is!!

Great news too is that my dad (who was diagnosed with liver cancer and underwent surgery in June) went in for his 3 month follow-up CT scan and it showed now signs of cancer. Yeah!!

And a final note, since November is lung cancer awareness month I decided I had to do something to raise money/awareness. So I have created my own 1st annual "walk the blocks" for lung cancer awareness. I mailed out clear ribbons to each of my family and friends. I in turn asked them to pledge and to wear the ribbon during November to help gain awareness. I have raised so far a little over $700. My goal is to hopefully make it to $1,000.

Well, that is it for now. I hope and pray for a cure and maybe by doing little steps I can make a difference.

Blessings to you all.

Wonderful news all the way around, Andrea, and I thank you for sharing it. I'm hoping the Prednisone helps your Mom's breathing...I know it sure helps mine when I'm on it.

Great idea about your walk for lung cancer awareness. Are you sending the proceeds to ALCASE, or the Lungevity Foundation? Just curious about how you have the folks make out the checks? (The reason being can they and how do they claim the pledge as a tax deduction? That seems to be the first thing I'm asked whenever the subject of donating to any cause comes up.)

Wishing you and your entire family well.

Fay A.

Andrea

I would love to help you attain your goal. I am pretty much housebound right now and can't get out much, but when I do, I would love to wear your ribbons. Can we make arrangements to have a few mailed to me? My email address is suemeadows@hotmail.com.

Awaiting your word . Meanwhile, good luck. you are so ambitious.

Sue M

Great news about everything, and I hope the walk is a success. As for tax stuff, you don't need to show receipts unless you donate more than like $3,000, because I do a lot of donating & fundraising for AIDS research, vaccine rides, dance a thons, etc, and I donate also to many things, and usually it is up there, but less than $3,000, so I think if people give you a $20 or something, they can just save there cancelled checks or whatever. :)

Andrea,

So glad both of your parents are presently doing okay. It sure helps us as caregivers to rest our minds a little too.

This is how it works for Charitable Contributions:

IRS Publication 526 states:

For Contributions of less then $250.00, it basicly states:

1. Cancelled check will do

2. If paid by credit card, will need the amt, transaction, date and to whom paid.

3.If cash, a reliable written record that the person giving keeps. The record is considered reliable if it was recorded at or near the time of the contribution or in the case of a small donation, you have buttons, emblems, or other tokens that are regularly given to persons making small cash contributions.

For Contributions $250 or more, it basicly states:

1. Must have confirmation from the qualified organization or certain payroll deductions.

You can take this one to the bank or read Pub 526....

Andrea,

So glad both of your parents are presently doing okay. It sure helps us as caregivers to rest our minds a little too.

This is how it works for Charitable Contributions:

IRS Publication 526 states:

For Contributions of less then $250.00, it basicly states:

1. Cancelled check will do

2. If paid by credit card, will need the amt, transaction, date and to whom paid.

3.If cash, a reliable written record that the person giving keeps. The record is considered reliable if it was recorded at or near the time of the contribution or in the case of a small donation, you have buttons, emblems, or other tokens that are regularly given to persons making small cash contributions.

For Contributions $250 or more, it basicly states:

1. Must have confirmation from the qualified organization or certain payroll deductions.

You can take this one to the bank or read Pub 526....