Something's Got Me Thinking...

ztweb

In another post in this forum someone mentioned having chemo even when they weren't absolutely certain it was cancer. What are your thoughts on this?

Dad is coming up on about 10 months of remission. He has a follow-up in one month. Should we be asking about this kind of "preventative" treatment?

I appreciate opinions! Thanks!

Jen

I've never heard of chemo as a preventative. I have however heard of people that were or are early stage lc, like stage I or II and had asked to have chemo done. But I've never heard of it being used as a preventative for cancer. However, now they are starting to give chemo to early stage people anyway.

If I never needed chemo I wouldn't do it no way no how. For me, the long term side effects are starting to rear there ugly little head. But, if I had cancer I would opt for it.

Is this preventative chemo for cancer or for maybe something else? I know they give chemo's for other things other then cancer.

I agree, Katie.

If I read correctly, I believe there was a suspicion of *possible* cancer cells showing on the PET, so the idea was to go for an aggressive attack rather than taking the "wait and see" approach, which would give the cancer cells time to gain more ground.

It really is a war, isn't it?

I think you should always ask your doctor ANYTHING that might be a benefit to you but I personally would want more info before doing "preventative" chemo. It is a poison and if it might not be necessary, it might not be a good idea. Chemo also knocks down the immune system and has a great deal of side effects so even though in many cases better be safe than sorry is sound advice, I would want some answers before making a decision.

I am glad your dad is doing well and that he has you to get to the bottom of things...AND ALSO, that you are here spreading kind words and sharing your knowledge.

Cheers...Flowergirlie

One of my friends' Dad was on Etoposide pills at home after finishing the IV chemo, and he stayed cancer free for 6 years. I don't really know why they didn't recommend this to my father a few years back. I would definitely ask the oncologist.

I did not say that it was used as a preventative but was used as a "window of opportunity" when some areas could not be identified if it was live SCLC or scar tissue. This was based on PET scan results. Because there was question we choose to do the chemo instead of waiting to see who was right. This is considered aggressive treatment and trying to stay ahead of things.