second primary lesion

kimblanchard

Hi, I'm BLT, age 70. first diagmosed with large squamous cell ca in left upper lung Nov. 1,2001 (after cat scan had been misplaced for 3 months). Had 2 rounds of taxol and cisplatim in Dec 2001. which shrank it some. Had surgery Feb 12,2002 (the day before my 69th birthday). they had hoped to remove upper lobe but it had infiltrated lower lobe and was attached around aorta and entire left lung removed and there was some question if they were able to scrape it all off the aorta but lymph nodes were negative. Really did well afterwards, using oxygen at night and to exercise. Second primary leaion found June 2003. tumor board determined not a candidate for more surgery due to pulmonary problems.Had 31 doses radiation, finishing 9/11. Next cat scan Nov. 11.

Has anyone had a similar experience?? what did you do?? :oops:

Hi BLT. Welcome to the board. Reading your story I can't believe they misplaced your CT scan for three months!!!!!!! It sounds like you did really well after the first operation so well done on that. I have no similar experience to offer you as it is my Mum who has lung cancer, but just wanted to say hello and let you know I am thinking of you. Let us know how your CT scan goes in November. Good luck!

Dear BLT - our circumstances are similar yet very different. First let me say that I am sorry that you have to go through this. I was diagnosed with non-small cell lung cancer in 1997 at age 38 - some 30 years earlier than your first diagnosis at age 68. 4.5 years into remission, I too was diagnosed with a second primary - metachronous bronchoalveolar adenocarcinoma. I lived through 2 thoracotomies, 2 lobectomies, a tracheostomy and plenty of complications - including Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome that landed me in the ICU on a respirator for 38 days. I know how frightening this all is - but do try to hang in there. Reaching out to others as you have done here is a wonderful outlet. The people in here are a source of strength and inspiration. I am going through my third bout with cancer now. I maintain my sanity and balance by staying positive, by accepting my condition and circumstances, by submitting to treatment, and more importantly by acknowledging that God is in charge - and that my only job is to show up for life. I cherish every moment that I am given and I am quick to forget the heartaches. Wonderful thing about cancer is that it has given me crystal clear vision as to what is important and what isn't. Fact is that all men die - few really live - so choose to really live - no matter how long of a time that may be.

:):)

Thanks for the replys,

Jana good luck to you and your mum.

s_meksvank, sounds like you have had more than your share. Don't you hate that waiting game. We'll keep the prayers going.

I agree with all of you that faith in God and a postive attitude is a must. I have NEVER said "why me",after all I have had 70 good years. My husband and I each lost our first spouses to cancer so we have been down this road before, but we have had 11 1/2 wondeful years together and have travelled to several countries and witnessed the beauties of

God's creation.

We drive about 35 miles for my therapy (Kansas City) and to the symphony, dinner theater etc. Since diagnosis we have renewed our season tickets to both dinnner theatr and symphony twice (and they aren't cheap) and only missed one performance! Is that positive thinking?

I was and still am active in church,on board of Directors for the Library, Council on Aging, and local chapter of Am Red Cross. We are still delivering meals-on-wheels to the homebound elderly weekly ;missed about 2 months after surgery but continued during chemo and radiation. In other words, I don't have time to be sick or feel sorry for myself.

Thank you for yur support.

Well Hello again BLT, :):)

So very glad you made it, I was getting worried and was about to e-mail you :roll: , I think you will find some wonderful support here on the boards. People are knowledgable and caring and most important of all you will find many SURVIVORS.

Again welcome, and I must say both you and " Father of five" have GREAT atitudes. please keep posting because you both have much to give and will inspire many.

God bless and stay well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

I had good intentions of e-mailing you my thanks for your good instructions but hadn't done it. I wouldn't be on line if it weren't for you so Thank YOU!

Second and third week after radiation were not good, very weak and at times ran 100+ temperature, then was bit by a GI flu bug which really drained me. Am doing better now but have a "rub" in the pleura area which they say is irritation from the radiation. Feel sorta congested and back on prednisone.

Oct. 5 my 59 year old brother and his wife were on way to church when a teenager pulled out in front of them from a parking lot. The seat belt and air bag saved him although he had injuries but there wasn't an airbag on my sister-in-laws side and she didn't make it so last week was a lost week for us.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato or BLT,

You are my husband's age and I am real close by. Sorry to hear it has reared its ugly head back but hopefully it will love the chemo and be gone again. That is about all we can hope far is that it loves chemo. None of us knows tomorrow as your family just witnessed. Am so sorry for that loss.

Hang in and give it he////////.

Norme, Reading your message makes me wonder if one can depend on reports. Am I reading it correctly, that your husband has no bone or liver cancer at this time? I certainly hope so but wonder how the docs could have been so wrong or has God performed a miracle which we know He can do. I do hope all is well now, even if it just for the time being, a reprive is always welome. My best to both of you. BLT

Hi BLT, I am a 3 1/2 year survivor of nsclc adenocarcinoma, 56 years old and still going strong. You mentioned Kansas City - I was born and raised in Grandview, MO and my parents are Lee's Summit - are you anywhere near there? I am praying for you and would like to keep in touch. Take care, Nancy

Hi BLT,

I took Buddy to a new chemo onc, plus the lung dr I took him to the other day had all his lung and liver scans read by one radiologist and also a second reading was by the head of the radiology dept at the hosp. They came to the conclusion that there must be a met because of the decrease in size from 1.7 to 1.3 cm. However, the Pet test showed no mets in the liver. Then, they said that there is something going on in the left chest wall seen on the scans. The new chemo onc I took him to two days ago believes in Pet tests more than scans. He said the pet is 90% correct and the Ct scans are only 65% correct. However, he said that if the mets are less then 1cm they won't show on the Pet. So much of this is guess work on everyone's part. Buddy does have an enlarge lymph node shown on the pet and is being scanned today for that. Per this new onc, if it is 2 cm or over, it prob is a met and if so, we don't know how long it has been there because the other onc never did a pet. the only other pet he had was done before surgery back in 08/02 so nothing to go by. Don't know if it is growing or has been there for sometime if it is a met. Per this onc, he doesn't like to disturb mets if they are lying still. He disturbs them when they wake up. He says they can lay still in the body for many many months and even years. I guess we all kind of know that though. I sure learned a lot from this new onc at that visit. Buddy liked him a lot. We will see where we go from here. He goes back next week. The onc also drew blood for Markers. He was surprised the other onc didn't do that too. he said at least it will tell us if there is cancer still in his body. Won't say where though. Have to guess I suppose.. I have come to the conclusion that a lot of this is a guessing game at times.

It sounds like you have found a good onc. this time. I am impressed and do hope he will be able to clear up questions and treat Buddy according to his knowledge. One thing you mentioned was markers. I had questioned my onc about them and was told they had markers for breast and some other kind of cancer but not for lung cancer! I will question that again. They were afraid to do a biopsy on me this time and I wonder since I am not having chemo at this point, how important it is to know what type this one is. Will Have more questions for the medical radiologist when I see her the 12th and get the results of cat scan to be done the 10th.

God Bless you and Buddy BLT

Blt, go into the General I catagory and look what I posted under Markers and see the web sight that BobMc gave regarding markers and LC. It is for LC too.

I really get concerned how all these drs do and think so differently regarding Lung Cancer. It really frightens me. Its like it is still a learning process and it has been around for a very long time. Chemo and radiation were here when my parents were stricken with LC some 30 yrs ago.

Anyway, print the sight info and show your dr.

• 4 weeks later...