Extensive Stage SCLC

flyboy

I have some questions regarding Extensive Stage SCLC. My friend was diagnosed with Extensive Stage SCLC back in April of this year. We discovered a couple weeks ago, almost a month now, that she has mets to the brain, spine, and liver not to mention the lung and lymph node involvment. She started chemo shortly after being diagnosed. She had to stop chemo due to low blood counts. At that point, they did a CT scan and found the other areas of involvement and the doctor told her that the chemo she was on, sorry not sure what that was, was not working. They switched her to a new chemo drug and is now under going tomotherapy. I am trying to make heads or tails of all this. She has been put on a morphine drip for the pain and is also on oxygen. This has been a terrible setback for her. She tells me in one sentence that she is giving up and then the next she tells me she is going for her therapy. I have no clue what her doctor is doing really. I dont know if it is intent to treat or palliative. Her current schedule is chemotherapy Monday, Wednesday and Friday. She does the tomotherapy on Tuesday and Thursdays. I am not sure if they are still doing the radiation on the chemo days or not. She is not telling me a lot of things. I am wondering if anyone has had any success with the tomotherapy?

Flyboy,

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I am also a newbie but can offer a few words.

Treatment for Extensive SCLS is always classed as 'palliative' as it is treated as 'incurable'.

Do not be put off by the 'P' word as some people survive for a long time using chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy which is used for 'palliative' purposes. Please research other people on this board with similar diagnosis and let your friend know about them. Your friend has suffered a setback due to the chemo not working but this doesnt mean the second line wont work.

As for tomotherapy, I have no idea what this is.

I wish you and your friend lots of luck

Take care

Debbie

x

Here is a site for info on Tomotherapy.................TomoTherapy - CT Image-Guided, Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy

TomoTherapy delivers image-guided intensity-modulated radiation therapy for cancer treatment. ... TomoTherapy Incorporated Strengthens Global Technical ...www.tomotherapy.com -

Well ALl,

Thank you one and all for the words of encouragement and hope that you have bestowed on me for this brief time. Sadly, we have ceased all treatment, or should I say the doctor has ceased all treatment. Right now, she is being made comfortable in her remaining days here on earth with us. I just hope that God calls her home soon, so there will be no more pain, no more suffering.

Hello All,

Now it seems that the doctor has decided they want to try some other sort of treatment for my friend. They called her twice after telling her that there wasnt any more they could do for her. They want to admit her into the hospital for 2 weeks to undergo some sort of treatment. She wont tell me what this is. I am not sure she really even knows what they want to do. She seems to tune them out when they start talking about it. She is scared that she will not make it out of the hospital. Though she was a little hesitant about it, she is going to try it. I wish I knew what it was they were going to try. I just pray that it works.

Hello ALl,

I am still not sure what the doctors are intending to do. However, today she is in surgery for the Brain Mets. From everything I have read or seen here on the internet, this seems to be uncommon. They want to relieve pressure or swelling to the brain. I am hopeful this will return some of her motor skills and that she can function better. It certainly has been a rollercoaster ride thus far. They then want to do an even more aggressive chemo therapy. Right now, I am just praying for positive results to give her some hope and to lift her spirits.

Thanks for the update. I dont know if anyone here can add anything regarding the brain mets surgery..???

I am truly hoping your friend has good results from this and that she can go on to receive the next chemo treatment.

I have heard of many people bouncing back from seemingly impossible and bleak looking situations during their cancer treatment so never give up hope.

God bless you both

Debbie

xx

• 4 weeks later...