is losing weight ok - or does that mean it's over?

Barb0802

a lot of people are in bad shape by the time they are diagnosed. Moreover, there are many people on this board and on other boards who are IIIBs and IVs who have been ticking along for a long time. Finally, a lot of those numbers are outdated (even by West's admission) as the standard of care is rapidly changing.

Don't focus on the statistics etc. Every individuals repsonse is different.

also, keep in mind that West is addressing a particular situation and is talking about chemo alone. Your dad is on combination therapy which includes Tarceva (which is not chemo) and some people's response to that has been very good---some even extraordinary.

My mom lost weight, too, and her nutritionist offered her marinol if she thought she needed it, but then my mom began to gain weight again. Her situation was particularly difficult because she was a dialysis patient, too, so just about everything on the list of "good" things for cancer patients were "no-no's" for dialysis patients. We made it work, though, and she got her appetite back. I've heard good things about Megace, too.

Thanks everyone!! He went to his drs. appt yesterday, and he has gained 3 lbs.!! our scale was a little off too. The Dr. was very happy that the swelling of his lymph nodes in his neck went away, she said she's sure the 8mm tumor is his lungs has either shrunk or is gone totally. They'll do a cat scan after his 3rd session of chemo.

Is this really a reason to be happy? I'm afraid to feel excited about this and so is my dad. He said "it's not like I'm cured"... He knows there is no cure, just treatment, but he meant, it's always going to be there..

anyway, is this really a positive sign, after 1 chemo session?

P.s. thanks to all who mentioned the Magic Mouthwash, the Dr. wrote them a prescription for it and said it will work wonders on him.

My apporach to good news (and bad) has been to acknowledge it for what it is, but to avoid letting the pendulum swing too far either way. Especially with good news, there can be a hangover effect.

However, that IS very good news and reason for you to enjoy your day!

Hi Barb--

Like Adrian said, it is definitely reason to celebrate. While we have found that we have to be careful with our celebrations, I think it is important to take stock of each moment. The reality is that, yes, he still does have cancer and we are still in the fight. But as I see it, a key part of staying in the moment and living in the present, is cherishing the good moments when they come...

So, today is a good day for you and for your dad.

Best,

Leslie

Barb,

Take the good news and savor it! There will always be ups and downs in this disease, so a bright spot is welcomed in the scheme of things. It is great that your Dad is having a good response. I hope the chemo zaps the cancer completely and he can have sustained time with no evidence of disease(NED).

We live just trying to hold the beast at bay and we take my husband's weight very seriously. He had lost 18 lbs. before diagnosis, but regained much of it once the chemo started working. For him, it isn't a matter of whether he feels like eating, he knows he must eat. Sometimes it's not easy with his sore mouth. We know when things are going good or not simply by how much he weighs. The good news is we've been at this for awhile and we are getting pretty savvy about picking up on small indicators. You are now seeing that your Dad's weight is picking up as he is having success with the chemo. His body isn't fighting the cancer for those calories right now because the cancer is fading. It's all good!

We have also used B-50 vitamins recommended by our oncologist and Biotene mouth wash for the mouth sores. When thrush is present the Nystatin "swish and swallow" does do wonders.

Best wishes on continued good news for your Dad.

Regards,

Welthy

Just wanted to share with you that Megace does come in a PILL form. I know, because I use to take it.

Traceva is a New Pill that works WELL for late stage lung cancer patients. I don't know if it's a chemo of sort, but we do know it works for late stage lc, so call it what ever makes you comfy. :wink:

Best wishes to your dad and you.

Barb,

Yes, for some people that is the way it works. Others seem to have no trouble maintaining weight. Remember -- no hard fast rules in this game, just some common features. You'll get to know your Dad's own "quirks" as time goes on.

Welthy

That's because your dad probably doesn't know that he CAN survive Lung Cancer!! 99% of us felt the same way your dad does. None of us thought we would be here very long after we were dx.d. I hit 12 years on Wednesday.

I also have a dear friend Carol who is a 7 year lung cancer survivor of STAGE IV! Her cancer is in remission and has been for 6 years now. She's doing wonderful!! There really are a LOT of long term lung cancer survivors in this world. THAT'S what you need to share with your wonderful DAD! :wink:

My husband lost 50 pounds in just a couple of months. He went on Megace and it made all the difference in the world. He wanted to eat and especially to snack on high calorie foods. He has since gained back almost 25 pounds. We also did Boost but he didn't care much for the taste of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I thought I would jump in here, as a bystander, reading the post, I want to tell you Barb, that you absolutely can beat this...it has been done. Even if there was only one (just one) story of hope (and thankfully there are lots, lots more) there would be reason to hang that hat on the hope!

My dad lost a ton of weight, and thus when winter came around, he was FREEZING all the time. We thougth that chemo had done something to his internal thermometer, but the doc said he had lost so much weight that it was from that. My dad had alot to lose, so it wasn't so scary, but I can say that he was much the same as yours...slowly but surely going down. I can say that dad felt better if he always kept something in his stomach...he kept pretzels by the bed, and when he would get up to go to the bathroom, he would have one.

Blessings and best of luck!

Jen