ALIMTA Really

rvillella

Yeah I was going to put a word up there that might have gotten me a slap on the wrist but right now I just don't care that much. I took the first infusion in the third week of July and now it's time for the next one and I don't even feel ready for the thing. :x:cry::oops: Called and left a message for the doc to call. I'm going to see if they won't put me in the hospital for this next go around. This stuff has really kicked me in the :oops: Any of you alimta users with some suggestions let me know before my wife goes through with the threat to shoot me soon, and put me out of her misery.

Ralph

Ralph,

I don't have any experience with Alimta personally.

I am glad that you have called your doctor to discuss options for your next chemo session. Maybe they can give you some "magic" drugs to make it go better this time.

Hang in there and keep the gun away from your wife - haha!

All my best,

Wendy

SO sorry you're having such trouble with Alimta. My mother took six infusions and didn't feel a thing. Nothing. Couldn't even tell she had a chemo ... blood counts weren't affected, no nausea, nothing.

But, she also got no benefit from it. She took it post-surgery, after which they thought they'd "gotten all" the cancer. Following the Alimta, the scans were bad.

I'm hoping for an easier time for you this go round, but that also, the bad time you're having is an indication it's kicking the cancer's you-know-what.

She's on Tarceva now and we're praying for a rash ... no luck yet though :?

Ralph,

Count us in -- Alimta sucks. Tony did 5 cycles and had terrible SOB, cough, and fatigue. The cancer held somewhat stable after 3 cycles, but progressed after the last two. The fallout is still happening a month after his last treatment. His lungs are very touchy and it sparked bad irritation and his body's response is pleural effusion. His left lung is now so screwed up that they can't even tap it anymore because the pleural area has formed loculation (or pockets of effusion.) He is on day two in the hospital. Never been in the hospital in 28 months, but here we are courtesy of Alimta.

I wish you much better luck. When a person's body reacts to this drug, it isn't pretty. Other people have virtually no reaction. Sorry this is happening to you and God bless.

Welthy

Ralph,

My Mom had awful trouble with Alimta too. It seems to run the full gamut from giving people no trouble at all and doing what it's supposed to, to giving people no trouble and doing little, to making people terribly ill with lots of benefit to making people terribly ill with no benefit.

Take what I have to say with a grain of salt please as it's just my experience, but I believe Alimta may have weakened my Mama's system and contributed to her decline so... I always want to tell Alimta users to watch the progress like a hawk and listen to your body and communicate with your doctors. It seems to do great things for some, but if all it is doing is wearing you down and not kicking any cancer butt well.... that's why communicate with the doctors.

Hope this isn't too much of a downer for you.

Ralph,

Mike had a bad time with Alimta also. He remained stable for a while, but the downside was severe fatigue and development of shortness of breath and pneumonitis. Gosh, I hate reporting negative news about a drug, but then again, I feel people have a right to know what reactions people can have.

God Bless,

Sue